Free 1995 Toro Super Recycler - 20463

Got this for free from a friend. It started, but wouldn't stay running.

The thing was really filthy. Must have been sitting outside. Apparently a previous owner had 3 of them bolted together in parallel to mow a large field or something.

Cleaned the carb all out and got new gaskets for it and now it appears to run like a champ. It doesn't appear that the idle adjuster lever on the control panel seems to work though, for some reason. The cable moves the piece on the carb though. Strange. The key mechanism is broken off where the wires go in, and there is no battery. Must have had electric start.

Anyway, what's the general consensus on these units? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Are these auto-choked?

Anyone have a link to the manual?

Here's a before and after. just a light cleaning to the exterior.

attachment.php


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 50
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 50
It's a good unit, I would stick sone $$$ into it. Not an auto-choke, has a primer bulb in the front. Engine is a Briggs and you should be able to find manuals online. To get it running I would first remove fuel bowl bolt and make sure that the holes in it are very clean. This is your main jet.
 
It's a good unit, I would stick sone $$$ into it. Not an auto-choke, has a primer bulb in the front. Engine is a Briggs and you should be able to find manuals online. To get it running I would first remove fuel bowl bolt and make sure that the holes in it are very clean. This is your main jet.

Yeah, I cleaned the carb all out, had to buy some new gaskets, fuel line, etc. Slammed about $20 USD into it. Seems to run decent.

Do you know what the deck is made of? It seems thicker than the modern steel vareity and after I scraped inches of grass out from under the deck, I really didn't see any rust...

Is it alloy or something perhaps? Or am I totally wrong and it's steel?
 
The deck is an aluminum alloy. Much sturdier that steel and won't rust. This deck will out last the rest of the mower and engine.
 
The deck is an aluminum alloy. Much sturdier that steel and won't rust. This deck will out last the rest of the mower and engine.

Wish I could say the same. My fine troy deck is rotting out. No dought do to a lack of regular cleaning over the (18) years. :frown:
 
Back
Top