FD 731v not Fr731v as I always type. Edited ... Starts but dies suddenly

Hardluck

Threads
  • / FD 731v not Fr731v as I always type. Edited ... Starts but dies suddenly
I have the bowl off the carburetor , carb is still on the engine. The bowl has four tunnels if you would can I just spray carb cleaner in them to clean or are their jets or something in them that need to taken out. I just don;t want to ruin it.

I saw a video a few weeks back on;line but I cannot locate it again. I have spent hours looking watching other videos but none for this carb , with this bowl design.

Last edited:

Hardluck

Threads
  • / FD 731v not Fr731v as I always type. Edited ... Starts but dies suddenly
Another update.
Cleaned the carb. Helped a little but not enough. Put the old fuel pump back on.
Better. But not perfect
It dies at least run for several minutes if you keep pulling the choke on and half off.
As after running for a couple minutes, and restarting several times I can get it running about 2/3 throttle and 1/3 choke it runs pretty steady.
If I increase the throttle to full the RPM surges.
As t least it runs just not good enough to mow yet.
It seems a new carburetor maybe my only option.
Where can I get a good one cheap enough that I can afford.it seems most eBay and Amazon stuff is crap. At least what I purchase.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Snip off after fire solenoid plunger inside the carb. Reinstall solenoid.

Pull coil kill wire off for testing. Should run fuel tank dry if coil is good.

Engage the choke when engine starts loosing power. See if she smooths out.

Get a cheap hot plate from a yard sale. Remove all rubber and plastic parts from carb. Boil carb in water and degreaser for an hour. Take fishing line or small gauge bread ties to rod every hole you can see. Rinse with fresh water. Blow out with compressed shop air and SAFETY GLASSES both ways. Make sure the emulsion tube is perfect. Do NOT use welding tip cleaners. Those are hardened steel. They will enlarge main and pilot jets with one pass. Jets are soft brass.

Make sure carb float level is spot on.

Pressure test carb needle/seat at 7psi with a wet needle. Should hold for >30 mins.

Hardluck

Threads
Thanks,

I did what I could do. I am not as capable at repair as I was .I'm getting to old to work on this stuff I'm afraid, Solenoid issue solved. Can't pressure test the carb. I can get it running with about 2/3 throttle and 1/3 choke. Full throttle dies and fuel choke dies as well as no choke.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't sell yourself short I am 74 years old and work on these things every day. Right now in the shop have a 27 HP Generac off a Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle. It has the govenor blown in it. Got it off with the help of one of the other guys. It was a bear since the clutch was stuck on the crank shaft. Was able to work the engine off with the clutch on and finally got the clutch off. Sprayed it with Super Zilla and took a small chisel and drove it between the motion pulley and a washer just above the pulley below the crank. So as to not harm the crank shaft. Got it to move. Took a bigger chisel and got it to move more. Took a hammer and was able to tap it off.

Last edited:

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would look on YouTube. There are many videos out there on issues dealing with the FR series Kawasaki. From what I've seen, it appoears that the FR series is not one of Kawasaki's best lines. I have found many of these videos very helpful. I have an FR651 with no issues but it only has 200 hrs so far and hope it stays that way.
The FR-FS and the FX are the same basic engine. They just have different external parts. Carb, air filter, blower housing. All the engines in a block size are the same. Like FR651-691 and 730 are the 730 block. FX751-801 and 850 are built on the 850 block. The difference I can see is the carb. They have stops on the throttle shaft in difference places limiting the opening of the throttle. So I would say you could make a say FR651 a FR730 by changing the carb.

Hardluck

Threads
I always write and say it's a FR but actually it is an FD 731.
Need to edit my post

Hardluck

Threads
Well I removed the Carburetor cleaner and reinstalled of a few minutes it started and ran for a little bit, I tried to mow and the thing quit again after about 5 minutes of mowing. Now it is stuck about 80 yards from the house and only starts and dies within 2 seconds again.

What now?
Get me a cheap place to buy a new carb and fuel pump online please.