Fr731v Starts but dies suddenly

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The wire has 12volts.
I ran a now wire from the battery just to double check the switch. Got the same results.
Clicking and humming sound. After it is on for 20 or 30 seconds it stops making the noise. Weird huh .
I will order a new solenoid and give it a go.
I am running if options!
cut the plunger off the solenoid and see if the engine continues to run properly.
this part is not required in any way shape or form for the engine to perform safely or properly

Hardluck

Threads
I am hoping. I ordered one.

Bertrrr

Threads
The plunger stops it from backfiring when you kill the machine I think , I removed mine when trouble shooting the same problem and experienced this. Good way to test though

Hardluck

Threads
The plunger stops it from backfiring when you kill the machine I think , I removed mine when trouble shooting the same problem and experienced this. Good way to test though
It won't start with it unplugged. Should it start with it unplugged.
It doesn't!
What thread size so
I can maybe plug the hole and see if runs.

Bertrrr

Threads
Not sure thread size but it's a machine thread with an o ring if I remember correctly, when you unplug it , it returns back into the seat which shuts off fuel, it take voltage to retract the plunger and allow fuel to get into the carb bowl.
It appears it works for start up but might be loosing voltage and shutting you down when running. You can cut the plunger off with pliers and re attache to the bowl and see if it runs or not, you've already ordered a new one but I think your problem is with the voltage feed wire.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is an after fire solenoid. Battery voltage holds the plunger down away from the carb or detracts the plunger. No power to the solenoid extends plunger shutting off fuel to carb main jet.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
cut the plunger off the solenoid and see if the engine continues to run properly.
this part is not required in any way shape or form for the engine to perform safely or properly

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't believe you offered this up. I put this out a while back. Tons of guys said never snip the plunger.

I do the snip deal all the time. Shut off the fuel with an inline valve, all good playboy. Or get a small bolt with the same threads as the solenoid.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Can't believe you offered this up. I put this out a while back. Tons of guys said never snip the plunger.

I do the snip deal all the time. Shut off the fuel with an inline valve, all good playboy. Or get a small bolt with the same threads as the solenoid.
only the uninformed who think the plunger keeps your carb from flooding out....

Hardluck

Threads
Thanks for all of the great replies.
I have ran a wire directly from the battery to the solenoid and got the same results and the same humming and clicking noise from the solenoid. I'm trying to find some new fuel line but doik ow what the correct size it I bought some it was too small OD and very thin wall , it would probably work but I think the thicker wall would be better. I need some fuel line to add a shut off as my mower doesn't have one. ( Cheap Badboy) Not inexpensive but cheap! My new solenoid shouldn't be in by Friday. I am hoping