FR730V Carb Cleaning?

Eggbert

Threads
I should have known that it was running right as a fluke as I never really found anything wrong. It started surging again after about 10 minutes or so of running. Quite bad at times... almost stopped. So this morning I cleaned the carb again. This time I managed to remove the emulsion tube and it had a lot of what I can only describe as floating black bits of mold in it. Same as the little piece I found earlier under the middle welch plug. Same stuff that seems to be coating part of the bottom of the plastic gas tank. Anyway, I cleaned it out. Also removed the welch plug over the small tube that fits inside the emulsion tube. Couldn't get it out (actually scared I would break it trying), but forced a lot of carb cleaner down it and was vicious with the compressed air. All back together and I just finished using it for about 1.5 hours and it ran like new.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
As Bert says there's clean then there's CLEAN.

Eggbert

Threads
Ah... a new reply. Quite apropos as I've been thinking I ought to add to the thread for a couple ff reasons. First of all, I think it may be noticeable that my surging issue was consistent for a while but eventually changed to intermittent. When I went to clean the emulsion tube, it had those black deposits on it. I noticed they wern't stuck and would slide around and came off quite easily. This matches up with intermittent. Sometimes those little holes were covered, and sometimes they wern't.

But what about before when the surging was consistent? I assume those black patches were stuck and didn't move around. So why's that? My best guess is that I added SeaFoam to the fuel tank and it was gradually cleaning things up. All speculation, but it matches the facts.

So what is that black stuff? Somewhere on Youtube I found a video that says it's carbon from a filter usually inside the fuel tank cap. Hmmm... I will admit there's a lot of this black stuff inside the tank.

Anyway, SeaFoam may have eventually fixed the problem... maybe. And a carb can't be too clean! Sometimes it takes an extra effort.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I will admit there's a lot of this black stuff inside the tank.
Clean and flush the tank out. Easy right? Tank should be just as you bought it new. New fuel lines and so on.