FR600 Cold Start Difficulty

Propflux01

Threads
I have an FR600 on a Snapper Zero turn mower. The mower is used weekly, in residential usage. When starting it after the weeklong sitting, it takes about 20-30 seconds to start. Once run, it will fire up immediately upon start. This only happens one time, after it has sat for the week. Thinking fuel has been somehow getting sucked back into the tank, I installed a check valve. This did not result in any change. To me, this seems excessive, and seems as though it is some kind of fuel issue. Any ideas on where to start first on this?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Simple things to look for before throwing anything at it. First, check to see if the choke is fully closing on cold startup. Push the cable fully forward to the choke position. Loosen the clamp on the cable and push the cable forward, making sure the choke is closed, tighten the clamp. Test.

Propflux01

Threads
Simple things to look for before throwing anything at it. First, check to see if the choke is fully closing on cold startup. Push the cable fully forward to the choke position. Loosen the clamp on the cable and push the cable forward, making sure the choke is closed, tighten the clamp. Test.
The choke assy is working as advertised. That was the first thing I thought of as well, being it's a cold start-only issue.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Many times I’ve seen where the cable is not moving the choke to a fully closed position, leaving a small gap. Only takes five minutes to readjust the choke cable. If you can see the choke and it is closing fully, then I would start looking to see if the idle jet is not clogged.. This would mean removing the carb and giving it a good cleaning.

Propflux01

Threads
Many times I’ve seen where the cable is not moving the choke to a fully closed position, leaving a small gap. Only takes five minutes to readjust the choke cable. If you can see the choke and it is closing fully, then I would start looking to see if the idle jet is not clogged.. This would mean removing the carb and giving it a good cleaning.
I will recheck the choke, and go from there. Thank you!

Propflux01

Threads
Choke is closing all the way and operational as advertised—full closure and open. Carb is clear. It appears to act as though the fuel is somehow getting siphoned back into the tank. Teh carb iles great once it starts, and will restart without issue immediately after that first cold start. Even if I immediately shut it down (after getting it started from cold) and wait 30 minutes, it will start immediately. Only happens when it sits for a day or longer. If it matters, I only use ethanol-free 91 octane gas.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I highly doubt it that fuel is being siphoned back into the tank. If you are positive that the choke is operating properly, I suspect the float is off and you have a lean starting condition. The carb needs to be cleaned and the float level needs to be set slightly rich.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Delete that check valve you installed. No need for one or Kawi would of installed one for you.

I bet a foul fuel line or tank plugged with trash. Those 90 degree hose barbs on the tank outlet love tank trash.

Propflux01

Threads
Update. Replaced fuel pump. The issue is solved. Starts within 2-3 seconds now after sitting for a week. When I removed the old pump, I could blow straight through it. On the new one, I cannot. Either way, it is fixed, and I can't believe I waited for this long to get this fixed. Thanx to all that replied.