Found what might be a good used mower

cruzenmike

Threads
I have been on the hunt for a "NEW" mower and am still quite certain that it will be something unused, but I did come across an online auction for a Craftsman DYT4000.

Here is some information on the mower from what I can gather (mind you the info in the auction is incorrect but in doing some research I am quite certain that I know what it is)

2001-2002 Craftsman DLT2000 Series
Model Number 17.27226
Briggs and Stratton 445777 25 hp Intek v-twin
333 Hours
48" 10 Gauge Deck
3 Bin Bagger
Front Blade

I have seen a video of the mower running, and the only thing that I noticed from the video is that when the electric PTO was engaged, the engine seemed to bog down quite a bit and then the engine revs up to higher than what the RPM was before the PTO was engaged. I have never seen this on any of my riders/ztrs but I figure it is either the governor pickup up to take on the added load of the deck being engaged or maybe it just needs a tune up.

I have attached some pictures of the machine and it does appear to be in very good condition. I have some extensive experience with the 724cc Briggs engines, and I have serviced the hydrostatic found in this machine as well so I quite comfortable with taking a small gamble on it.

Please let me know what you guys think, what it might be worth, and what I should be looking for on this machine. I will have the opportunity to check it out in person tomorrow or Tuesday.

Thank you.

Mike

Mower 1.JPGMower 2.JPG

logert gogert

Threads
Thats probably a call you will have to make...
To me, it looks like its in good shape, and especially the bagger, those things are pretty expensive.
And that PTO engagement issue, is probably the gov just as you said it was.

cruzenmike

Threads
Thanks. It did appear that when is was running it was only at half throttle which might explain the governor ramping up, but the machine is 18 years old so those governor springs might just be weak. I cannot ignore that it's a fairly robust machine, with low hours, in good cosmetic condition and for what might be a reasonable price. I have bought comparable, newer machines for around $1000 but I am thinking that given the age and possibly needing some TLC this might be worth $500-750 as it stands? I am certainly going to check it out in person so that I can pull some numbers off of it and look more closely at the belts, spindles and engine. Worst case it needs a fuel system revamp and a thorough tune-up, that might set me back about $200. A new machine of comparable specs would be well over $3500 with the snow blade and bagger.

cruzenmike

Threads
WELL.... I went and took a look at the mower in person today and let's just say that I did not get the fuzziest feeling about it. There were a couple of issues that I notice, some of which are not a big deal, especially for the right price, but considering everything that I saw, I might just have to pass this up. Here were some of the issues I observed:

- The pin on the deck adjustment handle was loose and it is possible that the handle would need to be replaced; felt like it wanted to fall out of the slot.
- Hard starting. I know it had been ran recently but it took about 30 seconds of cranking to get started.
- Once started, the engine was popping and sounded like it was missing.
- Seat was torn at the base.
- The reverse pedal was very tight and when pushed down as hard as possible the mower would barely move backward.

The auction is currently at $426 + 13% buyer fee and 6% tax with just over a day left. I know that the bagger and blade are in good condition and of some value, but I see myself having to put at least $200-300 into this to get it right assuming that it only needs a battery, full tune-up, some drive hardware and fuel system components. At that point I think it is just too much hassle for what I am trying to get into right now.

Anyone interested in looking at the auction, here it is: https://bid.basicequipmentmi.com/auction/70/item/craftsman-dyt4000-mower-3917

Mike

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I would look elsewhere if it were my money.