Export thread

Found a 35 year old toro lawnmower....

W

wantboost

Should I buy it . I like it cause it's retro but is this gonna give me issues non stop . Has Suzuki motor

B

Bertrrr

I'd Pass on anything that old unless you want a project - probably ate up with rust and possibly locked up too.

W

wantboost

I'd Pass on anything that old unless you want a project - probably ate up with rust and possibly locked up too.
Says it takes straight gas . Theought these took a mixture of oil and gas ??
Looks pretty clean.
It's a 20522c

Attachments

B

Bertrrr

No this is not a 2 cycle machine - being this old you may as well buy a new carburator , remove the fuel tank and any fuel lines attached , change the oil and plug but it's straight gas

B

bogdaN

Bay it that is one good Toro,engine runs forever .

R

Rivets

If the unit starts I would be snapping that one up if it was priced less than $75 and the drive works. Might even consider $100 depending on overall condition. That engine/deck setup was one of the best units Toro ever produced. I had mine for 25+ years and then the drive went out six years ago. This was the only weak part of the unit. I only replaced it due to the fact that my wife had to take over the trimming jobs, while I recovered from cancer, so I got her a Personal Pace mower. My neighbor wanted a push mower for trimming, so I removed the drive gears and he still has me service it each spring.

W

wantboost

If the unit starts I would be snapping that one up if it was priced less than $75 and the drive works. Might even consider $100 depending on overall condition. That engine/deck setup was one of the best units Toro ever produced. I had mine for 25+ years and then the drive went out six years ago. This was the only weak part of the unit. I only replaced it due to the fact that my wife had to take over the trimming jobs, while I recovered from cancer, so I got her a Personal Pace mower. My neighbor wanted a push mower for trimming, so I removed the drive gears and he still has me service it each spring.
What do u mean by the drive ??

R

Rivets

Those combinations could be bought with a three speed transmission or as a simple push mower.

W

wantboost

There's a throttle. Is that just engine speed or is that drive

Attachments

R

Rivets

Just engine speed, no drive.

S

slomo

THAT was when they made mowers to last...... Too bad engine parts are probably NLA. Look at the chromed handlebar. That alone makes the EPA shudder LOL. Definitely looks garaged.

W

wantboost

Just just debating dont wanna get stuck with a project. He says it's been maintained by a shop yearly. They converted it to mulch . Ie.closed off bag and maybe did a blade mod

A

AutoMechanic

I’d definitely scoop that up but then again I collect stuff like that and have a mower junkyard of ones I got and didn’t need lol. If it run’s definitely. Suzuki engine is a turn off but if it’s been regularly serviced it should be fine.

W

wantboost

Why is the Suzuki engine a turnoff

S

slomo

Parts for it are no longer to be had. GREAT engine though.

W

wantboost

Parts for it are no longer to be had. GREAT engine though.
If needed is there an engine that is easily retrofitted in it

A

AutoMechanic

Because it’s not a Briggs and Stratton lol. If it’s as unreliable as their cars are then that’s a problem. I will only purchase small engine stuff with Briggs and Stratton engines. That and parts availability.

R

Rivets

That Suzuki engine will outlast 95% of the Briggs which were built the same year and that’s when Briggs built really good engines. The one I post earlier about is 34 years old and still going strong. Only things that were ever changed on it were oil, air filter and spark plug.

B

bertsmobile1

Never seen a 4 stroke Suzuki engine on a mower down here but I service 5 Toro's fitted with the Suzuki 2 stroke engine.
The only time there was a death problem was with an inherited one and because the new owner saw an oil filler assumeed it was 4 stroke & ran it on strait petrol for a full season ( about 30 weeks ) before it finally would not start
So I have that one now + a new piston waiting for winter slow down when I get the time to work on my own stuff .
FWIW the piston & rings come from a motorcycle engine.
The real bummer is the Mukini carb
Nothing wrong with it except the parts are very expensive .
I should note these are all Aussie spec so they all have air intake snorkels
clean air in the motors and they will last forever
I have 60 year old Victas in the run that are still on original bores and working perfectly

O

Oddjob

I have a 32 year old Toro with a 4 stroke Suzuki engine. The deck is heavy duty aluminum. Works perfectly and is a joy to use. The self propel works great and has never given me a problem. It is set up as a mulcher only. I also have a 40 year old Toro with a Tecumseh engine that has BBC. I use it for collecting clippings. Despite all the Tecumseh haters, this engine runs well, starts easily, sips gas, and has been working for a long long time with only routine maintenance. It does burn a teaspoon of oil every other use. I also have a Honda 215 with BBC. It is a great mower, but heavier than the Toros, so it is not as fun to use. I’d buy that Toro if I were you.

chuckpen

chuckpen

I would ask myself, ...

Do I like working on mechanical?
Do I have the skills/tools or want to develop them?
How much mowing will you be doing?
If the mower fails does that put you in a bind?
Can you actually find parts (blades, plugs, cables that fit this mower?)

Shop / repair labor $$ are high and if you have to take it to a mechanic one time then the ownership costs are going to go way up or they will not work on it due to the age.

IMO, Liking retro is one thing but for me that really fails into a catagory I would call "a hobby". The old stuff is built way better than the over-price crud at BBox stores but it requires more attention. Small things like cables, wheels, carburators, rusted decks, blades can cost you some time and some coin.

I own a mid 80's Honda Harmony II "first owner" that still runs and operates perfectly, always cleaned and kept inside. Oil changes and such every spring. I like the plastic deck as it does not rust. Anyway, I was a broke lad back then with two kids and I paid probably $600 for that mower. Was best decision I made back then. Still have and use all the time.

Just so you know, I love old gas stuff. I still own;
a mid 80's Stihl 031AV 20" chainsaw that is still my go to saw for firewood cutting. I am building a MS390 though. :)
an old Honda ES6500 generator that is still my home standby power for blackouts.
a big ol Power Trim gas edger that is old and perfect.

IMO, the seller of that mower has something that will be very hard to sell. Have some fun, go get it for $10 -$25 dollars and give it a whirl. It will probably need some work. Even though the carb, gas tank, gas lines, filters will need some attention. I would not buy anything until you actually troubleshoot any problems it may have or see obvious issues to resolve.. Part availability will be an problem. Enjoy your retro mower till you don't.

Well, that is too long a reply, enjoy...