Forward, reverse and neutral control

julieannjohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
On my 917.250830, the lever that controls motion "came undone". It's held on with a push nut. I don't know how I figured that out because it popped off while mowing which means it's somewhere in my yard. I bought some push nuts at Auto Zone and after a few mowings it popped off again. I bought more and this time put 2 on. Should I weld a spot to keep it on? I'm having to change directions slowly and not just yank it into position. I don't have my dad to help me anymore because he passed away a few months ago. Thank you in advance for whatever help you can give me! Mower1 .jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Put a washer between the push nut & the link and do not push it on too hard because the link has to be able to move.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Speed washers / push nuts will screw off
They wont pull off
The washer allows the link to move against it but the washer to remain still against the fastener
So you just slide it on till it stops.
Most people hammer them on with a socket & 10 lb hammer where as they are designed to be a light push fit.
If it continues then drill a hole in the shaft & put a split pin & washer there
That is always a better method of retaining
The push nuts are used because they are very cheap. in more ways that price

julieannjohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Speed washers / push nuts will screw off
They wont pull off
The washer allows the link to move against it but the washer to remain still against the fastener
So you just slide it on till it stops.
Most people hammer them on with a socket & 10 lb hammer where as they are designed to be a light push fit.
If it continues then drill a hole in the shaft & put a split pin & washer there
That is always a better method of retaining
The push nuts are used because they are very cheap. in more ways that price
Ok, so the washer goes between the metal piece and the black, rubbery thing? Or, between the push nut and the rubbery thing.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Probably pinning which Bert mentions is best. If things keeps coming I would look into the fiction pack at the RS800F transaxle.

As removing those push nuts I made a tool here to remove them so I dont need to replace them when they are good but needed to be remove. Push nuts for me don't just screw off.

julieannjohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, everyone. Can you tell me what these parts are called? I know it's a push nut but is the whole thing called a "linkage", or what?

And what about the thing the post (what the push nut is on) is coming out of, what's that called?