Forum affects Craftsman ads?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Understandable I would chuckle at the latest Craftsman offerings on line after my problems with the 24 Intek in DYT 4000. Is it only a coincidence that the ad for the 42", 24 HP (1) will not state the name Intek anywhere I could see? (2) Now offers side vents on the cowl (for cross flow of hot trapped air?) (3) Does not show a 3 bagger setup (only the 2 bagger) for this and for the Kohler 52" zero turn? These 3 items are discussed in this forum. I did not see "Intek" printed in any of the 40 testimonials on the new ridearound.

Craftsman is reading this forum? :laughing:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Understandable I would chuckle at the latest Craftsman offerings on line after my problems with the 24 Intek in DYT 4000. Is it only a coincidence that the ad for the 42", 24 HP (1) will not state the name Intek anywhere I could see? (2) Now offers side vents on the cowl (for cross flow of hot trapped air?) (3) Does not show a 3 bagger setup (only the 2 bagger) for this and for the Kohler 52" zero turn? These 3 items are discussed in this forum. I did not see "Intek" printed in any of the 40 testimonials on the new ridearound.

Craftsman is reading this forum? :laughing:

motoman,
I too had a disappointing experience with the 24hp Intek on a 2006 Craftsman YS4500(Husqvarna) 54". Just out of the engine warranty period, the choke plate came loose inside the carberator and a local repair shop wanted $150 to repair it. I opted for spraying starter fluid when starting it cold every time I mowed instead(it was fine after warming up). But as far as "cutting power" the 46" True Value Lawn Chief I bought in 1995(replaced after 11 years with the Craftsman) which had a 16hp B & S Vanguard engine outcut that larger 24hp Intek hands down. My son used the Lawn Chief 7 more years(for a total of 18 years) before the deck and tractor began to fall apart and the 16hp Vanguard was still running like the day I bought it and still didn't burn a drop of oil between seasons. Briggs should be ASHAMED of ruining their reputation in the small engine market by re-designing the Vanguard and coming out with the Intek. They sure lost my confidence!!!!
P.S.
When I bought my Gravely last fall I gave the Craftsman to my son and my father-in-law was able to repair the choke. He said the tiny screws that held it in the carberator throat came loose and best he could tell must have gone into the piston chamber and got spit out the exhaust. He said I was lucky it didn't go in between the piston & sleeve & seize the engine. Sounds to me like during assembly Briggs didn't torque those screws properly:0(
I hope the lawn tractor lasts my son a few more years but I doubt he'll get 18 total years like we did with the Lawn Chief.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
djdicetn, Well sears is on hard times and needs to do damage control on the Intek powered riders, I guess. I asked but got no answer earlier about the "Platinum" series, and so did not learn anything. I guess that is just puffery and badge engineering to distance sears from Intek. I still believe the Intek was ok EXCEPT for underdesigned head and cooling. Twice apart and everything looked ok except the #1 exhaust cam lobe which had diappeared as powder in the oil and later the bit and chewed #1 ex pushrod which visited the timing gear in the sump.

I chuckle now, but cried then. :rolleyes: Regards motoman