Ford YT16 Govenor help

psychoframer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I've had my old YT16 for about a year now. She looks old, but cuts like a dream and the bagger for leaves is awesome. Over the summer I thought it would be a good idea to give the old girl a good cleaning and paint job. I broke her all down painted each part and went to put her back together. Having done this in the past I made sure to keep all the parts well marked and together. Unfortunately, I made a cardinal sin and thought that since I had the service manual and parts list I could just keep the governor parts and carburetor parts together and be okay (stupid, I know). So, long story short, when I went to reattach everything there wasn't a real clear picture of attaching everything. I was wondering if someone with a yt16 Briggs and Stratton could send me a picture of how the governor and throttle linkage go together. Thanks in advance!

Tom

DaveTN

Threads
There are two types of governors on mowers, 1) Air Vane types on small push mowers and 2) Internal Flyweight types on both push and rider mowers.
The spring pulls the engine into fuel and the governor pulls it out. The SOLID link goes from the Governor Arm to the Throttle Plate. The SPRING goes from the Governor Arm to the Throttle Lever. When you give it gas all you're doing is stretching the spring. The resulting RPM is a balance between SPRING tension and GOVERNOR pull. Just remembering these basic things will help immensely in simplifying governor linkages.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Simple fix. Type in you model and type number in a google search for a parts diagram. This will show you how the parts go together.