flywheel removal

First rocker covers that are sealed with RTV needs to be sheared off not pried off.

Second when sealing with RTV.
  1. Remove all of the old RTV.
  2. Clean off all oil residue.
  3. Apply the Permatex Surface Prep/Accelerator to both surfaces. Not necessary but greatly improves the sealing.
  4. Apply RTV to the rocker cover sealing edge.
  5. Install the rocker cover and only tighten the screws to finger tight.
  6. Let this sit overnight without ever cranking the engine.
  7. Next day torque the screw to 65 in/lbs and let the engine sit for a least a couple more hours.
  8. Then start the engine as you normal and use it.
This because RTV will not cure properly if oil touches it before it is fully cured. If the above is not follow the sealing will fail in short order.

Also the Permatex prep spray is not usually carry by the local auto parts stores as they are too cheap to carry a slow moving product so I have order mine thru Amazon. It goes a long way.
 
help, i have a troy bilt 13an77bs011 riding mower i need to take off flywheel cover under the shroud.

so does the nut ,that sits on flywheel inside cover turn clockwise or counter clock wise to remove. i think the pin is sheared

thanks
In case you didn't already know this: you need a way to keep the engine from spinning to break the fastener free. The best way I know is to remove the spark plug and push several feet of clean rope into the cylinder (as much as will fit). Or if you have an impact driver that will work without the rope trick. When you put the flywheel back on, don't be afraid to put some torque into it.
 
On your flywheel nut, it helps a hundred times over if you have an impact gun. I never needed a super heavy duty one so years back I bought an electric one from harbor freight. Not expensive and I’ve used it many many times
 
I like the Permatex Ultra Black. Oil resistant. Throw those gaskets away, no longer needed except when used as a spacer like for end play on Sump gaskets. So much better than paper, no need to level cover. It will seal.
 
Back
Top