Flywheel Nut Stuck but Flywheel Spins

Matt06

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Briggs and Stratton engine on my Weed Eater 22” lawn mower. The flywheel nut will NOT come off. I have seen plenty of videos on how to get it out but all of those flywheels stopped in the opposite direction. My flywheel will freely spin in either direction. I’ve had a second pair of hands to help me steady it but it’s still too seized. Is this screw something that I can safely drill out?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Strap wrench on flywheel, impact wrench on nut, sometimes you can use a big screwdriver from underneath the flywheel and wedge it against the crankcase. Depends on the underside of the flywheel.

Matt06

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ve already had two bodies fight against each other to loosen this nut. I’m past seized with this nut. Is this something that I can drill out without having to replace any other parts?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, just get someone with an impact wrench, don't use prybars

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Then, invest in the Briggs puller, after you get the bolt/nut loose.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here, this guys imitates an impact wrench, using a ratchet/socket and a hammer.

Matt06

Forum Newbie
Threads
@Fish
I’ve been trying that. But clearly this guy got it to work so I’ll just keep on trying.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, it mimics an impact wrench.
Why are you removing the flywheel?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That dude was stressing me out in the video. He really sprayed the pen lube, lol. On camera he didn't even get it where it needs to be. Has more tools than common sense.

slomo