float adjustment problem - LB 5278

alambe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
newbie to this forum but have run lawnboys since 1950's - my grandfather had both Iron Horse mower and snowblower.

My neighbor just tossed a 5278 and a 7352, so I grabbed them.

Started stripping down the 5278, tank had about 1 inch water, pulled apart the carb and found all the expected muck but not much corrosion.

It is a metal Walbro LMR1, also has 3507 stamped on it [LB part no??]

Cleaned up pretty well, but when reassembling the float, the needle sits high, so that the float bottoms out on the bowl and won't let any fuel pass. Usually a float like this should be sort of parallel to the housing. Its a plastic float, so cannot adjust it. I tried to push the needle seat further in, but won't go.

I haven't found any service instructions for this carb.
Any ideas??

noma

Threads
Hi Alambe

Just wondering if you can rotate the bowl to a different position and the float will go down lower. Or maybe someone put a different bowl on it that it's not deep enough to let the float come down. Is it possible the float is up side down or something? Just ideas good luck:biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello,
newbie to this forum but have run lawnboys since 1950's - my grandfather had both Iron Horse mower and snowblower.

My neighbor just tossed a 5278 and a 7352, so I grabbed them.

Started stripping down the 5278, tank had about 1 inch water, pulled apart the carb and found all the expected muck but not much corrosion.

It is a metal Walbro LMR1, also has 3507 stamped on it [LB part no??]

Cleaned up pretty well, but when reassembling the float, the needle sits high, so that the float bottoms out on the bowl and won't let any fuel pass. Usually a float like this should be sort of parallel to the housing. Its a plastic float, so cannot adjust it. I tried to push the needle seat further in, but won't go.

I haven't found any service instructions for this carb.
Any ideas??

Are you sure that nothing is obstructing the needle in the seat? Could it be the wrong needle?

Please post some pictures of your mowers -- including close-ups of this problem with the carb.

Congratulations on a great find. :thumbsup:

alambe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Solved. Thanks for the suggestions.

I found the carb service instructions (for an LMR-16, but looks like variation of my carb) in the V engine manual for a 10227 mower at lawnboy.com. The needle seat is Viton rubber. I picked it out with a needle and there was sludge behind it stopping it from seating properly. Maybe it moved with ice in the carb.

Cleaned it up, bit of oil and pushed the seat all the way in with back end of a drill bit. Looks good now.

No pics yet, paint is peeling from deck, rust around pull starter and handles, broken on/off cable. But inside of motor is spotless clean and spins easily. Looking forward to getting this restored.

The gas tanks on both mowers is white flaky plastic where the fuel tank is, but green elsewhere even though it's all one piece and all is exposed to the sun. What's with that? Gas has affected plastic?

Any ideas to fix this? I don't know what paint will stick to that plastic.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Solved. Thanks for the suggestions.

I found the carb service instructions (for an LMR-16, but looks like variation of my carb) in the V engine manual for a 10227 mower at lawnboy.com. The needle seat is Viton rubber. I picked it out with a needle and there was sludge behind it stopping it from seating properly. Maybe it moved with ice in the carb.

Cleaned it up, bit of oil and pushed the seat all the way in with back end of a drill bit. Looks good now.

No pics yet, paint is peeling from deck, rust around pull starter and handles, broken on/off cable. But inside of motor is spotless clean and spins easily. Looking forward to getting this restored.

The gas tanks on both mowers is white flaky plastic where the fuel tank is, but green elsewhere even though it's all one piece and all is exposed to the sun. What's with that? Gas has affected plastic?

Any ideas to fix this? I don't know what paint will stick to that plastic.

I wouldn't paint any plastic that's close to the gas tank -- low probability of paint sticking -- just accept it as is. :wink:

Does it run yet?