FH601V has whistling sound

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To me that sounds like metal hitting metal, not bearing squeal. I would grab my feeler gauges and recheck the air gap. Take a measurement as normal, then have someone push the flywheel toward rage coil and recheck for any change. Another thing I would try is resetting the air gap .002 “ wider and see if it changes. Might need a shot of carb cleaner to riches the mixture to start.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
your whistle may be the air cleaner off. Air going into a carb makes that sound. Part of an air cleaners job is to stop it.

Hayward51

Threads
I tried the fuel hose. I could hear a pinging on cyl #2 that I don't hear on cyl #1. I went around the engine and can't hear anything else. I pulled rocker covers off and reset valves after it cooled down. They were bad out of spec on cyl#2.

Hayward51

Threads
I reset air gap to .012 (.002 more) and it didn't seem to help. New carb hasn't been adjusted.
To me that sounds like metal hitting metal, not bearing squeal. I would grab my feeler gauges and recheck the air gap. Take a measurement as normal, then have someone push the flywheel toward rage coil and recheck for any change. Another thing I would try is resetting the air gap .002 “ wider and see if it changes. Might need a shot of carb cleaner to riches the mixture to start.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
pinging and whistling are two totally different sounds. If the air cleaner is off something could have been sucked into a cylinder causing noise. Might have to pull the head on that cylinder to be sure the noise is not something rattling around, or use a small camera thru the plug hole to look around. Amazon sells a small one for about $20 that plugs into a laptop, some phones etc.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PBF6DX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hayward51

Threads
pinging and whistling are two totally different sounds. If the air cleaner is off something could have been sucked into a cylinder causing noise. Might have to pull the head on that cylinder to be sure the noise is not something rattling around, or use a small camera thru the plug hole to look around. Amazon sells a small one for about $20 that plugs into a laptop, some phones etc.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PBF6DX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've pulled the heads off already checking head gasket for leaks. While listening with the hose, it sounded like metal tapping in time with exterior noise. ?? valve tappet and cam, maybe ?

Hayward51

Threads
I purchased a stethoscope today and definitely heard noise better. The loudest, most distinct I heard it was on the back side of the block, opposite from cylinders. I don't feel any slack in the PTO or flywheel shafts nor oil leaks. Before I break into this engine again, what would be the most likely to make that kind of noise ? Cam rubbing to hard on governor ? Something to do with the oil pump ? Still could be crank bushings ? I've spent way too much time and money on this project already ...

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd pull up the parts pictorial and try to see what might be back in that area before tearing it apart again.

Hayward51

Threads
I'd pull up the parts pictorial and try to see what might be back in that area before tearing it apart again.
I did look and the oil pump is the only thing in that area. I've never heard an oil pump sound like that ?? I haven't tested oil pressure. Yet !

Hayward51

Threads
I did look and the oil pump is the only thing in that area. I've never heard an oil pump sound like that ?? I haven't tested oil pressure. Yet !
I have a new problem with oil pressure - 66 PSI at idle after engine warms up. Started up at 72 PSI. Could this noise still be coming from the oil pump ?