Ferris IS2600Z Drive Belt Nightmare

neighborbill

Threads
About a week ago my brand new Ferris IS2600Z Diesel threw a drive belt do to a branch that wedged up into the belt and pulley . I could not move back or forward. I got a look and saw that the drive belt (top belt) not the deck belt came off of the pulley. So the hydraulics were not working.
The belt is still in good shape and all I want to do is take it off. I have a new belt coming, but the one that is on is still in pretty good shape . the branch didn't do to much damage.
For three days, I've been trying to remove the belt rather then cutting it off.
If you have this machine and have tried to get the belt off let me know how you did it.
I've been in contact with B&S who makes Ferris and they don't know how to get my belt off either. Their answer..... cut it off.
I've been to all the sites for Ferris. Apparently, this model isn't the most popular one.
I think I'm the only one who bought one.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you can’t get it off and decide to cut it, how will you get the new belt on?
You are going to have to remove the deck belt first.
You are then going to have to unplug your PTO clutch and remove the PTO anti-rotation bolt.
You are then going to release the tension spring on the hydraulic drive tensioner pulley.
Now, you are ready to remove the belt. Replace in reverse manner.
I know that this video isn’t for your mower. However, the procedure is similar.
The other option is to load it up and take it to the dealer.

neighborbill

Threads
Feeding a new belt on looks pretty straight forward. Not easy but do able.
I appreciate your explanation about how to do..... I've been through all of that already.
Do you own an IS2600Z?
This machine is a nightmare to replace belts on.
I guess I'm spoiled because I've owened a Scags for the last 30 years. Easy easy to do maintenance on.
I thought when I bought this Ferris it would be similar.
Your last comment about taking it to a dealer is to simplistic.
I have to move this beast with no power to the drives onto a trailer. Or pay a fortune to have them pick it up.
You would have thought someone would have paid attention to the area's of maintenance and repair.
It is built like a tank, but very little accessability to the things that will most likely go first.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Feeding a new belt on looks pretty straight forward. Not easy but do able.
I appreciate your explanation about how to do..... I've been through all of that already.
Do you own an IS2600Z?
This machine is a nightmare to replace belts on.
I guess I'm spoiled because I've owened a Scags for the last 30 years. Easy easy to do maintenance on.
I thought when I bought this Ferris it would be similar.
Your last comment about taking it to a dealer is to simplistic.
I have to move this beast with no power to the drives onto a trailer. Or pay a fortune to have them pick it up.
You would have thought someone would have paid attention to the area's of maintenance and repair.
It is built like a tank, but very little accessability to the things that will most likely go first.
No, I don’t own a Ferris.
Will this help?

neighborbill

Threads
Thanks for your thoughts,
No, I've been through all of this stuff.
I need someone who owns one of these.
They made so many models and all are different.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe someone will come along to help you out.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Thanks for your thoughts,
No, I've been through all of this stuff.
I need someone who owns one of these.
They made so many models and all are different.
As stated, reinstalling the drive belt, or installing a new one should be doable, and not take three days worth of trying. Because this zero turn is brand new, and you probably paid around $20,000 for it, why not call the dealer you bought it from and ask for help? Surely if they are a good business, they will figure out a way to help you. A stick getting wedged in belt and causing it to come off. No, this is not covered under warranty, but it would be good customer service by the Ferris dealer to help you. Call them and talk to them about it.

neighborbill

Threads
As stated, reinstalling the drive belt, or installing a new one should be doable, and not take three days worth of trying. Because this zero turn is brand new, and you probably paid around $20,000 for it, why not call the dealer you bought it from and ask for help? Surely if they are a good business, they will figure out a way to help you. A stick getting wedged in belt and causing it to come off. No, this is not covered under warranty, but it would be good customer service by the Ferris dealer to help you. Call them and talk to them about it.
My experience with Ferris Dealers hasn't been good. Last year I had to take my cutter in because it wouldn't start. That dealer wouldn't give me my cutter back until the Ferris boys paid him. He said I didn't buy the cutter from them. I contacted Ferris and told them what happen. They told me that next time I should go to a different dealer.

This time I did exactly what you mentioned, only it was B&G owners of Ferris. They helped a little but said the same thing. You'll probably have to cut off the belt ($200.00 plus).

I bought it from a Dealer who is over 100 miles from me. They were super nice people. I'll most likely be taking it back there. Problem is with out power (no belt) I'll have to get it on a trailer somehow.

Did I mention, now the gear box is leaking oil. Definetly must go back.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
My experience with Ferris Dealers hasn't been good. Last year I had to take my cutter in because it wouldn't start. That dealer wouldn't give me my cutter back until the Ferris boys paid him. He said I didn't buy the cutter from them. I contacted Ferris and told them what happen. They told me that next time I should go to a different dealer.

This time I did exactly what you mentioned, only it was B&G owners of Ferris. They helped a little but said the same thing. You'll probably have to cut off the belt ($200.00 plus).

I bought it from a Dealer who is over 100 miles from me. They were super nice people. I'll most likely be taking it back there. Problem is with out power (no belt) I'll have to get it on a trailer somehow.

Did I mention, now the gear box is leaking oil. Definetly must go back.
I’m curious. Why did you choose a Ferris over some of the other brands out there?

neighborbill

Threads
I’m curious. Why did you choose a Ferris over some of the other brands out there?
I had seen this machine about a year ago before I made the purchase. I had/have a Scags at the time and was thinking that it was time to start looking for a new machine.
My first choice was another Scags. I wanted a diesel though with the next purchase. I priced out the Scags diesel and was shocked at the asking prices. I started calling dealers. No one would budge off of MSRP and some wanted more. Some dealers didn't even have any to purchase and would have to be ordered.
I went to the Internet.
Found the IS2600Z Ferris on sale at the place I bought it (100 plus miles away). Their price was $21,394.00 and a Clearance price of $19,995.00. Told them about my searches and said that I requested their best price and would make the purchase is I thought it was good. They came back with $16,500.00
How could I turn that down. Got my Diesel, 61 inch cut, and a great price.
I didn't do my homework like I should have. Don't get me wrong, the Ferris is a tank. But now that I am into fixing and maintaining it, I question whether I made a good decision.
Long story, but you asked.