Ferris IS1500Z steering problem

old crow

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Ferris IS 1500Z with 148 hrs. on it. The right side steering is not very responsive. Almost no reverse and forward is about 50%. Left steering is fine. I have replaced both hydraulic drive belts, hydraulic oil and filter. I used the proper oil and kept everything very clean when replacing oil. Worked oil in slowly, with both wheels off the ground. Not much help.

When both drive wheels are off of the ground, with the motor off, I can easily turn the right wheel whereas the left wheel offers resistance. Am I looking at a new hydraulic pump or hydraulic wheel motor?
Thanks for any help.

Old Crow

phil.winter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Ferris IS 1500Z with 148 hrs. on it. The right side steering is not very responsive. Almost no reverse and forward is about 50%. Left steering is fine. I have replaced both hydraulic drive belts, hydraulic oil and filter. I used the proper oil and kept everything very clean when replacing oil. Worked oil in slowly, with both wheels off the ground. Not much help.

When both drive wheels are off of the ground, with the motor off, I can easily turn the right wheel whereas the left wheel offers resistance. Am I looking at a new hydraulic pump or hydraulic wheel motor?
Thanks for any help.

Old Crow

Hi Old Crow.

How did you get on with the steering problem on your mower. Was the pump or wheel motor at fault. Mine has the same issue but on the left side. Your mower didn't have many hours on it. Be good to here back. Cheers.

gregjo1948

Threads
I don't know on this model if there are hydraulic releases or not. My old Z and 2010 walk behind both have hydraulic releases so you can move the machines with the engine not running. The z has knobs that you turn and the walk behind has rods that you pull up. I had another old Z that you had to reach under the machine to move levers from side to side. Perhaps your machine has the hydraulics partially disengaged is why one side is not performing as it should. gregjo1948

phil.winter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't know on this model if there are hydraulic releases or not. My old Z and 2010 walk behind both have hydraulic releases so you can move the machines with the engine not running. The z has knobs that you turn and the walk behind has rods that you pull up. I had another old Z that you had to reach under the machine to move levers from side to side. Perhaps your machine has the hydraulics partially disengaged is why one side is not performing as it should. gregjo1948

Hi. I have already checked those things. I am pretty good with all mechanical things. I have taken the machine back to the dealer and asked them to inspect. When I know what the cause is, I will post it up for all as this problem type comes up a little bit.

Keep an eye out. Thanks for the response any way.