Ferris 61"Deck Chewing Belts

bucko64

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone was wondering if anyone elsae had a problem with the Ferris zeroturn F210 61" deck chewing up the belts? Them buggers are expensive:mad: Thanks in advance Bucko64

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check all hardware, idler pulleys, idler arms for wear by hand making sure everything is tight & secure. Idler pulleys & bearings do wear out. also check springs, bushings, etc. let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

I have a 2010 Simplicity Broadmoor with 46" deck. Upper & lower idler arms have bushings inside that used 3/8" bolt that passed through bottom of deck then through bushings inside idler arms with nut on top. Upper idler arm cracked almost completely through with approximately 1/8" left hanging on. Welded idler arm & drilled bushings to 7/16" also drilled bottom of deck & 1 bracket. Picked up grade 8 7/16" bolt 2 & 1/2" long with 1 & 1/2" shank on bolt, no threads, 2 flat washers & a self locking nut. Submitted improvement to Simplicity with no reply. Problem was 3/8" bolt could not handle torque when engaging & disengaging PTO. When I removed 3/8" bolt found it to be stretched & warped.
asset.php

Last edited:

bucko64

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check all hardware, idler pulleys, idler arms for wear by hand making sure everything is tight & secure. Idler pulleys & bearings do wear out. also check springs, bushings, etc. let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

I have a 2010 Simplicity Broadmoor with 46" deck. Upper & lower idler arms have bushings inside that used 3/8" bolt that passed through bottom of deck then through bushings inside idler arms with nut on top. Upper idler arm cracked almost completely through with approximately 1/8" left hanging on. Welded idler arm & drilled bushings to 7/16" also drilled bottom of deck & 1 bracket. Picked up grade 8 7/16" bolt 2 & 1/2" long with 1 & 1/2" shank on bolt, no threads, 2 flat washers & a self locking nut. Submitted improvement to Simplicity with no reply. Problem was 3/8" bolt could not handle torque when engaging & disengaging PTO. When I removed 3/8" bolt found it to be stretched & warped.
asset.php

will do thanks again....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The good thing about belts is the wear pattern will tell you exactly why the belt failed and from that you can work out where to look .
The problem with forums is we are looking at a screen and do not have the belt in out hands to look at.
So we really need to see the failed belt.
Or you can google "Belt failure chart" and find a dozen or so on line and hopefully find a nice coloured one.

Alternatively you could post some photos of the belt damage, all of it as there may be several damaged parts and they are all important.
However if you do they need to be clear in focus and close, so holding a phone at arms length will not do the job.
The camera / phone needs to be on something solid to get rid of the shakes

bucko64

Forum Newbie
Threads
The good thing about belts is the wear pattern will tell you exactly why the belt failed and from that you can work out where to look .
The problem with forums is we are looking at a screen and do not have the belt in out hands to look at.
So we really need to see the failed belt.
Or you can google "Belt failure chart" and find a dozen or so on line and hopefully find a nice coloured one.

Alternatively you could post some photos of the belt damage, all of it as there may be several damaged parts and they are all important.
However if you do they need to be clear in focus and close, so holding a phone at arms length will not do the job.
The camera / phone needs to be on something solid to get rid of the shakes

Very nice info on that google search thanks alot. Im looking at them now:smile:

bodon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know Ferris changed the drive belt design awhile back. My last 2 ZT were Ferris with the 61" decks. And I noticed that there are 2 belts on the new one where there used to be just one.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a ferris 3100z with 61" ICD deck. Went through 2 deck belts in less than 100 hours. Dealer asked if i was engaging the deck a full engine speed and i said no. He said that was the problem. He said i am supposed to engage deck at full speed to stop belt slap. ??? Since engaging full speed no more broken belts. Go figure.

bodon

Forum Newbie
Threads
IMO I think engaging at full sped would put quite a hit on that belt.