Ferris 500 no charge

Budule

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have A FERRIS 500 with the Briggs engine (about 4 years old) and I have been having to jump start it the last few times and I just thought it was a battery problem....today I got it started but then the PTO wouldn't come on , finally figured out it needs 12 volts ( I guess) to engage so I put a volt meter on my battery and there dosent seem to be any voltage coming in to keep it charged......not sure where to start as I need this mower bad and cant really let the shop keep it all summer....I can get it to engage if I get it running then hook up my jump box but after 30 minutes or so it disengages again....

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Please post year, model number as well as all numbers from engine.

Thanks, I'm posting this information:FAQ | Lawn Mower Safety Tips | Briggs & Stratton
First and foremost I would remove battery and take it to an auto parts store and have it load tested, I would call first and see if they charge for this test, they should not. If battery checks out, check all wiring and connections for corrosion, chafing, insulation missing, all connections are tight. Let us know if this helps or not.

Last edited:

Budule

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok . its a Ferris IS500Z with Briggs 26HP ELS (Extended Life System)

serial # 2012781438 was on mower frame

serial # 080107YG21300 was on engine

Budule

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please post year, model number as well as all numbers from engine.

Thanks, I'm posting this information:FAQ | Lawn Mower Safety Tips | Briggs & Stratton
First and foremost I would remove battery and take it to an auto parts store and have it load tested, I would call first and see if they charge for this test, they should not. If battery checks out, check all wiring and connections for corrosion, chafing, insulation missing, all connections are tight. Let us know if this helps or not.

battery is fine (new one almost) it just isn't getting any charge from mower....if I charge it up before I use it , its fine , but after a while I guess the voltage drops to low and the PTO disengages......I had to recharge halfway thru cutting just to finish....if I put a volt meter on battery it dosent show any charge going into it....

Budule

Forum Newbie
Threads
So no voltage coming to battery , what would be the next step ?

gregjo1948

Threads
See if you're getting power to the regulator. gregjo1948