Factory Grease

skipper124

Threads
I just ordered a couple new spindle assemblies for my Yardman mower deck. Are these already greased from the factory or do you have to add grease to them?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Most spindles used sealed ball bearings, so grease basically does nothing except probably catching water and dirt before it reaches the bearing.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Always grease regardless until you see grease coming out, that is why grease fittings are installed. Spindle shafts & bearings get very hot at over 3000RPMS, grease will clean, cool, & lubricate spindle assy. & help keep moisture out. I suggest greasing every oil & filter change.

Last edited:

skipper124

Threads
Well the new spindles are a little higher than the old ones and the brake fits too low now. Any way to adjust them? I see a couple holes higher on the bracket but how do you get the pad off? Looks like rivets are holding it in. Also I put the engage spring in the wrong way and can't get it back out. I put it in over the top instead of from underneath. Any trick to doing that?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
A know brake problem that MTD refuses to fix. You be lucky if the high holes align the brake pads; otherwise, it take making mods in the field. You need to drill out the rivets and install new rivets once you relocate the pads.

As for idler arm spring in the wrong it might take removing the idler arm to get it out.