Engine Exmark Lazer Z- Kohler engine, coughs and sputters when mower is engaged

Georgia_Boy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Exmark Lazer Z- Kohler engine, coughs and sputters when mower is engaged
Exmark Lazer Z- Kohler engine, coughs and sputters when mower is engaged. I had been mowing about 30 minutes when this happened. When I turn the mower off it ran fine. Please help!! Could it be a switch? If so which one?

Mizaree

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you ever determine the cause of problem you posted about your Exmark? I am having similar issues. Please reply, it would be very helpful. Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:
I seriously doubt that Georgia_Boy is still here particularly as there was no response to his post.
So please describe exactly what your problem is and include the make & model numbers of your engine.
BE as detailed as you can.
It is fairly easy to diagnose a mower when it is right there in front of your face.
It is another thing all together to make a diagnosis with nothing more than words on a screen.

Mizaree

Forum Newbie
Threads
:welcome:
I seriously doubt that Georgia_Boy is still here particularly as there was no response to his post.
So please describe exactly what your problem is and include the make & model numbers of your engine.
BE as detailed as you can.
It is fairly easy to diagnose a mower when it is right there in front of your face.
It is another thing all together to make a diagnosis with nothing more than words on a screen.

I have an 2013 Exmark Pioneer with a Kohler engine.

There are (2) labels on the engine: SPEC: PS-CV740-3138 , SERIAL: 4319602491

The last time I tried to use the mower, the engine continuously back fired and started losing power. I did some research and thought the problem was due to the fuel shut-off solenoid. I ordered the part and installed it. The engine did not back fire at all. I started mowing and the engine started losing power again.

Unfortunately, I have (2) acres of grass that still needs to be cut before winter sets in. I really can't afford to take the machine to a dealer or repair shop - due to $, but also - most shops would not be able to get it back to me in time.

If anybody has any insight that would help, I would really appreciate it. Parts, part #'s, etc..

Thanks again

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you have a CV 740 Kohler.
You will find your full repair manual on the Kohler web site, log in as a guest.
Or you can get a PDF of it from here https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kohler-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/
Yours is the one that starts with CV25.

There are 2 likely sources of your problem
1) one of the ignition modules is failing
2) air leak on one cylinder

Easy one for starters, pull the blower housing and remove the spark plugs one at a time then start the engine ( plugs must be grounded )
If the engine runs smooth with one disconnected and will not run at all with the other disconnected then one of the ignition modules is shot.

next start the engine, and manually apply the choke a very little bit, gradually increasing till you start to get 8 stroking and some black smoke.

If it ran better with a small amount of choke then you have an air leak