Exmark Lazer Z bogging down after 20 mins of mowing

Jaredjward

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm having a very strange issue and Im looking for help. The mower starts, runs,and mows strong. Then after about 20 mins and usually when I'm stopping to turn around and make a pass in the opposite direction the mower will bog down and shut off. I can start it right back up with no issues and the motor runs fine again. I can then drive back to the garage with the motor running strong. I thought it was somehow overheating because if I let it sit for awhile it will fire back up and mow for another 20 min. I've cleaned the air filter, cooling fins and made sure it has fresh gas and clean deck pulleys and belts. I'm stumped and could use some suggestions. Thank you for your time!

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
sounds like the carb needs adjustment. I am basing this on it sounds like you are saying it dies sometimes when hot and you pull it back to idle.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
usually when I'm stopping to turn around and make a pass in the opposite direction the mower will bog down and shut off
Sounds like junk in the fuel tank. Dump the tank, verify it's 100% clean. New fuel lines, filter and a shut off valve would be nice. When you turn around, fuel sloshes around in the tank. Maybe clogging slash unclogging the tank outlet.
I thought it was somehow overheating because if I let it sit for awhile it will fire back up and mow for another 20 min
Remove the engine cover and clean the block and cooling fins. Sounds like you did this one. Did you get ALL around the block? Behind mufflers and so on? So you are saying your block and fins are like a new engine, clean? If so I applaud you sir. This is a YEARLY must do in your engine manual. More often if you bag.

If your entire fuel system is clean then load test your ignition coil/module. Take an old plug. Gap to 0.250" or 1/4" wide. Check for steady spark. Coil might be getting hot and weak. Also need to check your spark when it dies on you.

Savage

Forum Newbie
Threads
Clean your fuel cap Boss, loosen it when the bogging happens. See if there is improvement.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Exmark Lazer Z bogging down after 20 mins of mowing
When you clean slash inspect cooling fins, you must inspect all around each cylinder and block areas. Some blocks have spots behind mufflers and most have a pan shroud around said cylinder/s. Grass packs up under those sneaky pans. Don't just pull the upper shroud, see no grass and move on. Block and fins need to be spotless like a new engine.