Exmark Cut Quest (price check) new-but has the older Fab Deck

blownalcohol

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Exmark Cut Quest (price check) new-but has the older Fab Deck
Dealer has new Cut Quest 42" briggs engine for $3495 and a Cut Quest 48" briggs engine for $3895. Both have the older Fab deck. Newer models have a stamped deck, who knows maybe the stamped deck cuts better.
How is the cut quality on this mower?

***Am I spending more money that I need to? Or will this mower produce a better cut than the John Deeres at Lowes, Cub Cadet at TSC, ect?***
My lot is only .67. This is for my lawn only.
I would buy the multch and stripping kit also.

Black Bart

Threads
Dealer has new Cut Quest 42" briggs engine for $3495 and a Cut Quest 48" briggs engine for $3895. Both have the older Fab deck. Newer models have a stamped deck, who knows maybe the stamped deck cuts better.

***Am I spending more money that I need to? Or will this mower produce a better cut than the John Deeres at Lowes, Cub Cadet at TSC, ect?***

Nothing special about that price you can buy a John Deere EZ Trak for that money also.
Remember this you get what you pay for if you buy a $2000.00 mower that is what you get regardless of where you buy it or what brand it is.
Some think there $3000.00 mower is as good as one costing $5000.00 but they are full of BS it just don't happen.
Some dealers may give a slightly better deal but you get what you pay for those little tractors at LOWES and TSC are cheap for a reason.

robert

Threads
blownalcohol, I would advise you to avoid Exmark in general and the Quest in particular. Mine was a 42 fab deck with the Briggs Intek, the first failure occured at about minute 20, the unit spent 10 days in the shop for a solinoid repair-come to find out this is a known issue with the Quest. At about 1 1/2 hours the unit stopped and would not restart, went back into the shop for a charging issue, at about hour 3 the same problem occurred and it went back once again. Total time used three or so hours, total time in shop approx 3 weeks.

You need to know this about Exmark, they do nothing to provide customer service, it is the dealers responsibility to make things right.

And you should also be aware of the fact that the 42" deck has a very troubled history with one local dealer refusing to even sell it due to performance issues. What I discovered in the brief time I had the Exmark while it was running is that the deck did not cut higher grass well at all and dispersed the clippings in a very poor manner. Additionally, the way the deck is suspended, I think it is called 'parallel' linkage is prone to making very disturbing loud cracking sound during use, especially when traveling over changes in lawn surfaces, bumps.

Also, the drives used; 2800's while serviceable with external filters do use sintered or pressed metal gears rather than steel cut AND are prone to be noisy, or at least mine was.

On the plus side the mower did track straight as an arrow and the feel of the levers was ideal with no slop at all and the action was smooth-real smooth.

The price by the way is nothing to jump at.

stevo123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have used practically every commercial mower and nothing i mean nothing can top an exmark. I even use the quest I have 2 of them and they are absolutely great machines. 1 has over 1100 hrs and the other is newer with just 235 hrs. I bought them both new and they both have a fab deck. Never buy a stamped deck they are trash no matter what brand name you buy. A fab deck is stronger, has more durable spindles and can take a beating without any damage. Anyone whom thinks exmark is not superior has never had one. Rarely do they go down unlike, deere, club cadet, scag, bunton etc.

Black Bart

Threads
I have used practically every commercial mower and nothing i mean nothing can top an exmark. I even use the quest I have 2 of them and they are absolutely great machines. 1 has over 1100 hrs and the other is newer with just 235 hrs. I bought them both new and they both have a fab deck. Never buy a stamped deck they are trash no matter what brand name you buy. A fab deck is stronger, has more durable spindles and can take a beating without any damage. Anyone whom thinks exmark is not superior has never had one. Rarely do they go down unlike, deere, club cadet, scag, bunton etc.

STEVO this is not a biased statement is it. :laughing:

I'm sure it is your opinion but just remember opinions are like *** holes everyone has one. :biggrin:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

This is just my personal opinion, but putting the mowers aside temporarily, if you're only mowing a .67 lot you don't need a 42" or 48" ZTR especially with a Fab deck so yes you're spending more money than you need too.

A John Deere or Cub Cadet LTX 1045 Lawn Tractor in the $1500 to $1700 range with a 46" stamped deck would be more than sufficient for what you are looking to mow and would last you a lifetime.

As far as Exmark being a good mower, there no different than any other manufacturer. They make good grade mowers for Commercial guys and cheap grade mowers for the homeowner. Just like Black Bart said you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Black Bart

Threads

The thing you want to consider is service buy from a dealer that will provide parts and service.
Lowes and Home Depot or TSC will send you somewhere else they have no service department.

Now some may say it will be a local dealer and that is correct but where I live the TSC store will send you to the local grasshopper dealer, If he is busy you want to guess what gets fixed first..

He will fix his customer that bought his brand from him before he will repair yours that is only good business.

May not be true everywhere but I can buy from my local JD dealer just as cheap as buy the same thing from Lowe's so I say buy from a well established dealer where you can get parts and service regardless of what brand it is.

Where I live I have all kinds available to me but the only ones that have good service after the sale are
X Mark/ Grasshopper / Simplicity and John Deere so that is all that I consider.
If I want to drive 50 miles I can find some other brands with good dealers but why would I do that when I have an excellent choice right at home.

My advice is buy a major brand that has good service that is near your home, If you care for it most of them will give you years of good service.

Also remember there is no free lunch when you buy a 1900 dollar mower that is what you got regardless of brand so don't expect it to be as well built as one that cost twice that much.

Zero turns are really nice I wouldn't be without one but you can mow with a tractor and they are much less $$$$$