Export thread

Exmark 60 inch with kohler 27hp engine, need help starter wont engage

S

scag43

Hi everyone, my starter on a Kohler Command 27hp Engine, won稚 engage, I used a Heavy-duty car battery charger and jump start at the starter solenoid, I can hear the starter engaging but it is just free spinning; it is not engaging with the fly wheel....any idea what could be wrong. I just bought this mower today and the guy told me that the repair shop told them the engine was gone, the previous owner of the mower told me the one day he went to start the engine and he heard a loud noise and starter start spinning freely, he bought another mower and sold this one to me.. Any idea what could be wrong? Is it possible that the tooth on the fly wheel has broken off?
I will really appreciate your help.
Thank You

S

scag43

any help...Thanks

V

vaskeet

Its possible that the flywheel gear has some broken teeth it also possible that the starter is spinning without throwing out the starter gear. I would pull starter and see if the gear is being thrown out with power applied. also pull engine cover and see if you can turn over the motor by hand (pull plugs to make it easier to turn)

S

scag43

Hi guys, I finally got to work on this mower, starter was bad, starter motor will spin but will not engage with fly wheel, I install a starter from my kohler 25hp and it cranks and start right up but it has a broken connecting rod on one piston, the cylinder is in great shape, it is really smooth, I'm planning on rebuilt this motor, Kohler command Pro 27, 24 113 124..I知 looking for this part number: connecting rod 24-059-05 ..Any idea where I can get parts for this engine...Thank You

S

scag43

20141022_143957.jpg20141022_144914.jpg20141022_144920.jpg

Here is the problem with the starting issue, my question , Can I rebuilt this engine, the other piston and rod are fine, the are not scratches or damage to the cylinder head and If it can be rebuilt, can I used the same piston? Thank you

B

bertsmobile1

View attachment 24630View attachment 24628View attachment 24629

Here is the problem with the starting issue, my question , Can I rebuilt this engine, the other piston and rod are fine, the are not scratches or damage to the cylinder head and If it can be rebuilt, can I used the same piston? Thank you

before you go any further check the cams very carefully and more important check where the cams run in the cases, oft they will crack making the motor an uneconomic repair.
No you can not weld, glue or JB weld the cases, if they are cracks then you are looking at a short block and usually you can get a superseded complete motor for less.
Once you are dead sure every thing is still in servicable condition go ahead & change the rod, you an get them from a stack of places like Jacks, small engine warehouse, K & T.
however have a big think about it, rods never just snap fo no reason

B

bertsmobile1

And the important phoos are the sides and inside of the piston and the fracture edge of the rod and the big end on the crank.