Etesia smoking like crazy!

julesbarn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, new here and hoping someone can help. I quit smoking 6 months ago and my 23 year old Etesia Bahia (13hp Briggs engine) decided to start smoking. Heavily! Couple of days ago, i tried to start it, it sputtered, with loads of white smoke then refused to start. Lots of cranking, no luck. At this point, oil is dripping from exhaust.Then i noticed the petrol tank was empty and the engine oil level was way too high and concluded that fuel must have got into the crank case since i last used it a month or so ago. Sure enough, i drained the petrol/oil mix from engine and refilled with new oil. I left it for a day or so while i charged the battery. Today, it started on the button but it is smoking like crazy. I did a bit of mowing for about 5 minutes but it was still chuffing out loads of smoke. I had to stop in case i was doing damage to the engine keeping it running. I think it sounded ok, and I'm sure it was fine the last time i used it before the heatwave.

Does anybody know what might be going on here? There's clearly the issue of fuel getting into crankcase.. faulty needle valve in carb? ..but why is it smoking so much?

Could it be the previously thinned oil getting past the rings into the bore and ending up burning off as the engine runs and collecting in the exhaust? Does it indicate broken ring? I don't know whether or not to run the engine and see if it clears up. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post B&S numbers from engine: Model xxxxxx, Type xxxx, Trim xx, Code xxxxxxx. Do not attempt to start engine, carburetor needs overhaul kit.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
it sputtered, with loads of white smoke
Should of been gray smoke unless you had coolant leaking into the combustion chamber.
There's clearly the issue of fuel getting into crankcase.. faulty needle valve in carb?
Ding ding ding ding. You found the cause.
but why is it smoking so much?
Fuel is raising the oil level over the full mark. Gets into the combustion chamber. Plug ignites the air, fuel and oil mix.

Pull the oil dipstick. Smell for gasoline. If you smell gas, rebuild carb (needle and seat).

Dump the oil if you smell gas. DO NOT USE THE MOWER until the carb is fixed. Carb needs to be pressure tested.

julesbarn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Post B&S numbers from engine: Model xxxxxx, Type xxxx, Trim xx, Code xxxxxxx. Do not attempt to start engine, carburetor needs overhaul kit.
Thanks. Will post numbers etc tomorrow when i get time.

julesbarn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Should of been gray smoke unless you had coolant leaking into the combustion chamber.

Ding ding ding ding. You found the cause.

Fuel is raising the oil level over the full mark. Gets into the combustion chamber. Plug ignites the air, fuel and oil mix.

Pull the oil dipstick. Smell for gasoline. If you smell gas, rebuild carb (needle and seat).

Dump the oil if you smell gas. DO NOT USE THE MOWER until the carb is fixed. Carb needs to be pressure tested.
Thanks,Got it. Carb needs seeing to. I have also ordered new fuel shut off valve as an extra precaution. The original one leaked and I didn't replace it when I fitted new fuel hose and filter last year. Whoops.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have also ordered new fuel shut off valve as an extra precaution. The original one leaked and I didn't replace it when I fitted new fuel hose and filter last year. Whoops.