ES-210 Blower Bog

Reinman

Threads
Have an Echo 210 blower that runs fine at idle (and for a long time), but as soon as throttle is applied, bogs and quits.

I’m just getting into small engine repair, have done a lot of reading - no experience, but this one has me stumped so far. Not good for my first project.

Here is what I’ve done:

- Did tune up - replaced spark plug, fuel lines, and new carb (C1U-K78) Single fuel setting - 2 turns out from closed.
- Checked tank pressure - still does with cap off tank. Also took fuel filter off and does better with it off. Not the filter since it’s brand new and I’ve tried multiple ones.
- Compression pressure is at 90psi after 5 pulls. No leaks - pressure maintains after 5min. I’ve done a lot of reading on what a good pressure is and it almost seems to be a religious argument ;-).
- Checked exhaust - screen looks good, no blocks.
- Gaskets around manifold and carb all look good.

This machine is just not getting enough fuel at WOT. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Rein

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
loosen or remove the muffler entirely.
The exhaust port can get blocked by carbon build up , particular problem with the if a little is good more is better types who run on high oil:fuel ratios.

Use your ears.
An engine that stalls out lean will sound different to an engine that stalls out rich and both sound different to an engine that chokes on it's own exhaust.

When you have a minute, get an old power head with adjustable jets and stall the engine rich a dozen or so times till you have the sound fixed in your head
Do the same lean
then block off an exhaust outlet and listen to what an engine that chokes on it's exhaust sounds like.
Worthwhile spending a whole day doing this because in the long run it will :-
save you hundreds of hours in the workshop
Allow you to tell a customer what is wrong when they book the job in
Allow you to give better estimates
reduce the amount of unnecessary parts replacements.

Reinman

Threads
Thank you so much for you reply. That’s really good advice. Took muffler off and same. I put in ethanol free gas mixture and turned the mixture screw out 1-1/2 turns - I had it a 2 turns. Started right up and no bog.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
New EPA compliant carbs have longer finer tapers on the needles so the adjustments can be more precise.
Thus some need to be turned 3 or 4 times to give the same adjustment as old carbs.
It is a PIA when trying to tune because the old carbs would have about 1/2 turn from stalling rich to stalling lean so picking the mid spot was easy
On new cabs this can be up to 2 full turns so finding the mid point is near impossible.
IT also means that the initial settings listed in old literature can be way off.
Fun isn't it.
If you are not bald now, you soon will be.:laughing:

Reinman

Threads
Hi Bert,

What do you think about this one?... It’s a Poulan 2150 Chainsaw

Walboro Carb. Idles fine, but after running for full throttle, as soon as I let go of the throttle, it bogs and shuts off. I think I need to start over with a carb adjustment. Any recommendations (e.g. start with X amount of turns out, then adjust L at idle and H at full throttle?). Thanks much...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are several thousand people on this forum why blame me ?:confused2:
Let go the throttle ?
If you slowly let the trigger off does it idle normally ?
If you let the trigger go is the result different from the above ?
"Bogs down & dies" is again not a useful description.
Does it 8 stroke and blow some black smoke ? ie stalls rich .
How does it accelerate when slowly pulling the trigger ?
Does it transition smoothly from idle jet to main jet ?

Reinman

Threads
Ha - I just sent it to you because you are so knowledgeable and responsive :).

No smoke or anything. Haven’t tried to slowly let go of the throttle, but if I do it fast, it dies.

I was thinking about starting the carb adjustments from scratch. Turning the H/L screws all the way in, just didn’t know if there was a prescribed way to do this.

Trigger response from idle to WOT actually is pretty good.

BTW - I am not a pro by any means. I actually do all this work for free, trying to help people that can’t afford the high cost of a small engine mechanic. I started by finding old equipment, fixing it, and giving it to people out of work so they could start their own business.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is and it is the same for every cube carb that has adjustments.
Start the engine and turn the H needle in till the engine starts to miss then go out till the engine starts to miss.
Now screw the needle back in to 1/2 way between missing lean & missing rich.
While you are there listen carefully to the change in the exhaust note from lean to rich.
The H is now set but might need to be adjusted again latter because if the L is open too far you are running on both.

Now you back off slowly.
If it sounds like the engine is going to stall, tweak the L needle ( remember you have just learned the difference between rich & lean )
If necessary wind in the throttle stop.
Now do the same with the L jet as you did with the H jet.
Try backing off the throttle stop as far as you can without the engine stalling and when you get as slow as you can repeat the L adjustment.
Continue like this till the throttle screw can be backed right off without the engine stalling.
Once you are running around 1500 rpm and the chain has stopped moving the go back & do the H again
After that do the L again.

Continue in this fashion till you get a smooth increase in speed form idle to WFO and back again
Some times you luck it in on one cycle and other times you are there for hours.
When you have finished try the saw in some wood occasionally you need to enrichen the settings when there is a bigger load on the saw.

As for starting positions, we don't get Poulans down her so a local is going to fill that in for you.

If it seems to be all over the place like a mad dogs breakfast then you have other problems like a pressure loss or air leak or leaking crank shaft seal.

We have a charity down here called "the Mens Shed" that does the same thing.
It started out as a mens health centre for older men because we talk shoulder to shoulder while we work where as women talk face to face over a coffee.
Then it just got bigger & bigger so a lot of sheds get the store defects donated to them so they can fix them and pass the tools , toys & furnature on to the needy.
Now it has gotten to the point where they take in a lot of youths & teach them working skills that are no longer taught