Export thread

Engine won’t start

A

AdamHword

Hi I have a 18hp twin v vanguard engine attached to my max 4 6x6. I was repairing a broken chain yesterday and when I finished I rode it around for a second. No problem starting at all. When I turned the engine off and tried to start it back up it started for probably 3 seconds and then stopped and hasn’t started since. I haven’t been using the starter to start it because I am waiting on a new gear so I have been using the pull cord. I am not very good with engines yet. The spark plug had carbon build up on it so I replaced it. I charged the battery. I cleared the air filter. Everything I do doesn’t seem to work. If you have any advice that would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

if you have any starting fluid or parts cleaner or other combustible substance, put about a tablespoon, or 2 or 3 short spray bursts into the intake... remove the air filter... try to start... if it runs the dies, fuel delivery issue..
if the carburetor has one of those Anti-Afterfire valve on the bottom of it, that could be the culprit. you generally hear a slight click when you turn the key to ON, coming from it.
Also post up the Model and Type numbers.
1625849238357.png1625849245877.png

A

AdamHword

if you have any starting fluid or parts cleaner or other combustible substance, put about a tablespoon, or 2 or 3 short spray bursts into the intake... remove the air filter... try to start... if it runs the dies, fuel delivery issue..
if the carburetor has one of those Anti-Afterfire valve on the bottom of it, that could be the culprit. you generally hear a slight click when you turn the key to ON, coming from it.
Also post up the Model and Type numbers.
View attachment 57340View attachment 57341

A

AdamHword

Cant seem to find a model number

A

AdamHword

whenever I pull the chord it sounds like it’s trying to pull something in but it’s just getting air

S

slomo

Scrubcadet10 gave a clue for you.

1625849238357.png2.png

S

slomo

If you can't find the model number of the engine post up pictures with all sides shown.

A

AdamHword

If you can't find the model number of the engine post up pictures with all sides shown.
It won’t let me upload photos. Says they are to big

A

AdamHword

Closest engine in the picture above is the one all the way on the bottom right

S

slomo

Make the pic files smaller. Crop the image or reduce file size.

Are you running windoze, Linux or MAC?

A

AdamHword

Make the pic files smaller. Crop the image or reduce file size.

Are you running windoze, Linux or MAC?

im using windows

S

slomo

im using windows
Click on that how to use win 10 photos app link I provided.

S

slomo

S

slomo

A

AdamHword

lawnmower 1.JPGlawnmower 2.jpglawnmower 4 (2).jpglawnmower 3.jpg
I figured it out thank you very much

S

slomo

S

slomo

S

slomo

Remove fuel line AT carb. Crank engine over. Verify fuel delivery AT carb into a glass jar.

A

AdamHword

Ok
Remove fuel line AT carb. Crank engine over. Verify fuel delivery AT carb into a glass jar.
I took the fuel line of and I’m cranking the engine and nothing is coming out. I don’t know if I’m doing it wrong or it’s blocked

S

slomo

Fuel line, fuel tank and or fuel filter could be blocked. Find out which. If yours has a fuel pump that might be bad too. Something in the fuel delivery path is your issue.

Remove the tank and clean it out good. Replace fuel lines and filter.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

well, i see the fuel pump mounted up top next to the valve cover.
Pull of the line i marked in RED and crank it... it should spurt out fuel. If not, Pull off the line i marked in green, and place your finger over the hose nipple on the pump, you should feel a pulsing action. if not.. the diaphragm in the pump could be bad, OR check that you feel a pulse from nipple that is marked in BLUE.
It's not common for these pumps to fail, but i've replaced a few.
VALVECOVER.png

A

AdamHword

Fuel line, fuel tank and or fuel filter could be blocked. Find out which. If yours has a fuel pump that might be bad too. Something in the fuel delivery path is your issue.

Remove the tank and clean it out good. Replace fuel lines and filter.

slomo
Thanks I just went out and bought a new fuel line and I’ll try to figure it out beyond thag

A

AdamHword

well, i see the fuel pump mounted up top next to the valve cover.
Pull of the line i marked in RED and crank it... it should spurt out fuel. If not, Pull off the line i marked in green, and place your finger over the hose nipple on the pump, you should feel a pulsing action. if not.. the diaphragm in the pump could be bad, OR check that you feel a pulse from nipple that is marked in BLUE.
It's not common for these pumps to fail, but i've replaced a few.
VALVECOVER.png
Ok so I’m not getting any suction at all and no fuel came out of the top

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Ok so I’m not getting any suction at all and no fuel came out of the top
Are you getting any suction from the valve cover/pulse side?
whatever that hose i marked in blue hooks too, take it off and feel for pulse from the engine. Most likely it is the pump though.
before buying a pump, you may try cleaning this vent on it. I've never fixed on like that, but i have read about people cleaning that vent and fixing a no pump issues.fuelpump.png

A

AdamHword

Are you getting any suction from the valve cover/pulse side?
whatever that hose i marked in blue hooks too, take it off and feel for pulse from the engine. Most likely it is the pump though.
before buying a pump, you may try cleaning this vent on it. I've never fixed on like that, but i have read about people cleaning that vent and fixing a no pump issues.View attachment 57357
I am getting some suction from the engine so it’s probably the pump

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

most likely.
that's the same Mikuni pump as on my Kawasaki mule.. i replaced it about 4 years ago with a Chinese copy of amazon and it's still going strong.

A

AdamHword

most likely.
that's the same Mikuni pump as on my Kawasaki mule.. i replaced it about 4 years ago with a Chinese copy of amazon and it's still going strong.
I was doing a little experiment and found that it doesn’t spit fuel while it’s on the angle but it does when it is flat. Is that a pump issue or a engine issue?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

hmmm... let me look at another picture of that engine to see if the fuel pump is orientated differently.
EDIT:
Yeah, thats how the pump comes mounted from the factory...

A

AdamHword

hmmm... let me look at another picture of that engine to see if the fuel pump is orientated differently.
EDIT:
Yeah, thats how the pump comes mounted from the factory...
Hmmm ok well I’ll order the new pump. You wouldn’t happen to know what it’s called Would you? I looked on Amazon and see some But they don’t look exactly the same

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Hmmm ok well I’ll order the new pump. You wouldn’t happen to know what it’s called Would you? I looked on Amazon and see some But they don’t look exactly the same
I'd hold up on ordering a pump, see what others might have to say....

J

joea99

You phone or tablet may have an option for saving in a more compact format. Might not be obvious or say for "text or email", or like that.

J

Joed756

This model engine requires fuel, air, compression and spark in order to run. Make sure you have each and your problem should be solved.

J

Joed756

I don't know what pump you are talking about. What is the pump part number?

M

Mower bandit

Hi I have a 18hp twin v vanguard engine attached to my max 4 6x6. I was repairing a broken chain yesterday and when I finished I rode it around for a second. No problem starting at all. When I turned the engine off and tried to start it back up it started for probably 3 seconds and then stopped and hasn’t started since. I haven’t been using the starter to start it because I am waiting on a new gear so I have been using the pull cord. I am not very good with engines yet. The spark plug had carbon build up on it so I replaced it. I charged the battery. I cleared the air filter. Everything I do doesn’t seem to work. If you have any advice that would be great.
Thanks in advance.

M

Mower bandit

Sounds like the carb is clogged up at the main jet

G

Gord Baker

Check to see if you have not pinched off a fuel line during repairs and that you do have fuel.
After leaving it sit for 20 min, give it a shot of Quick Start and pull the rope, choke mostly open.

S

SamB

Man,I love that graphic! Thanks,scrubcadet10!!

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

If we would look back and read through previous posts and look at the pictures he posted, we'd KNOW it's a fuel delivery issue.
He said if he turns the pump horizontal it pumps but if he puts it in the factory orientation it doesn't pump.