engine turns over but wont start

Farmerd

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman DHS with a Briggs 20 hp. Engine turns over, has spark, new plug, plug is wet, so it is getting gas, checked flywheel key, not sheared. Mower was running turned key off, 15 mins. later wont start. While turning motor over with plug out spark appears to be a little on the weak side. I had flywheel off to check key and shine.d the maganent up. Anybody have any ideas what to do next?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Craftsman DHS with a Briggs 20 hp. Engine turns over, has spark, new plug, plug is wet, so it is getting gas, checked flywheel key, not sheared. Mower was running turned key off, 15 mins. later wont start. While turning motor over with plug out spark appears to be a little on the weak side. I had flywheel off to check key and shine.d the maganent up. Anybody have any ideas what to do next?

If you have good gas...and you have spark...it should try and start.

Try starting fluid into carb, close choke and try to start.
Get an inline spark tester.

You have to recheck everything.

It is not getting fuel or spark....or it would try and start.

unless something happened inside the engine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is one of the few times when I will suggest you check the valve clearances. You have fuel and spark, third thing is compression.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
pop out and buy 3 things.
1) in line spark tester
2) new spark plug
3) can of starter fluid.

pop a short shot of starter fluid down the plug hole
Install spark plug & tester

crank the engine and watch the tester.
Engine fire right up then stops when the fluid is used up 5s to 10 s, you have a fuel delivery problem
Tester does not flash when the engine is revolving you have an ignition problem

Once plugs are wet they go bad and can be a bugger to clean, starter fluid & compressed air works good most of the time.