Engine swap wiring unknowns

Lawn-Boy43

Threads
Hello all,

So I own a 80's or 90's lawn boy LT12 riding mower that originally came with a Briggs 12hp engine. That one blew and I came across a 16 horse Kohler Command from a Craftsman rider. ( Engine Model # CV460S) Everything so far has physically fit; the motor fits under the hood and next to the battery and tank, and the original pulley fit right on to the new engine. The exhaust will need some work to fit but I will be tackling that soon.

My issue now resides in the wiring. The new engine has 5 wires going to a plug; black, white, green, red, and yellow. The existing plug coming from my mower has only two wires, a red and a white, both appearing to come from the light switch.

I'm pretty stumped on what everything should go to. I have connected the obvious, thicker red wire going to starter, green from headlight switch going to headlights. No wiring around the starter solenoid had been touched. I will attach a wiring diagram from a Ford LT12 which is the same mower, just different color and different decals,..and a diagram for the kohler engine. If anyone can figure this out or give me any assistance, that would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Ford_LT12_Operators_Manual_Lawn_Tractor_42001213_2020-05-11_13-07-46.jpg
    Ford_LT12_Operators_Manual_Lawn_Tractor_42001213_2020-05-11_13-07-46.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image000000(15).jpg
    image000000(15).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 3

Lawn-Boy43

Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not usually
There should be 4 basic wires connecting the mower to the engine.
1) kill wire - with the brake on & PTO off should go from ground to open when you turn the key from off to on
2) carb solenoid wire - should go from open to battery voltage when key goes from off to on
3) Power wire from rectifier - usually red should show voltage when engine is running
4) starter solenoid wire, generally purple on Kohlers, goes to the trigger wire on the starter solenoid

So follow the unknown wires on the engine side & see whee they go to .

Lawn-Boy43

Threads
Not usually
There should be 4 basic wires connecting the mower to the engine.
1) kill wire - with the brake on & PTO off should go from ground to open when you turn the key from off to on
2) carb solenoid wire - should go from open to battery voltage when key goes from off to on
3) Power wire from rectifier - usually red should show voltage when engine is running
4) starter solenoid wire, generally purple on Kohlers, goes to the trigger wire on the starter solenoid

So follow the unknown wires on the engine side & see whee they go to .
Thank you for your response. I will poke around again today.