Engine swap for JD 317

Cool hand luke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. I got my 317 going thanks to you guys. However, the Onan218 is really losing power and using oil badly. I sure hate to get rid of the onan but I'm tossing around doing an engine swap. Have any of you did this and what problems did you run into? Also, any suggestions on a new engine? Thanks!

D

Deleted member 97405

Overhaul the Onan is my recommendation. The money you'll spend on a new motor will be more than it will cost you to tear down your old engine and overhaul it, unless you're not doing any of the work yourself. That is just my experience. Good luck!

Cool hand luke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can you still get parts for these Onans? I've talked to a couple of repair shops and they tell me you can't get parts for these. But maybe they just didn't want to rebuild a motor.

D

Deleted member 97405

If you research online, you can still find parts. I helped a buddy not too long ago find pistons and rings for his Onan. If you figure out what part numbers you need, then go online and start searching. If you find the parts, that engine will last your lifetime once rebuilt. Here are a few sources to get you started...good luck!

ebay.com
enginemastersinc.com/onanrebuilding/obsoleteitems.htm
onanparts.com
boomersonanparts.com

Gordon308

Threads
Hello everyone. I got my 317 going thanks to you guys. However, the Onan218 is really losing power and using oil badly. I sure hate to get rid of the onan but I'm tossing around doing an engine swap. Have any of you did this and what problems did you run into? Also, any suggestions on a new engine? Thanks!
Personally, I've never had long term success with rebuilt engines, but your mileage may vary.

I've got a JD 318 and did a 23 Hp B&S Vanguard engine swap a couple of year ago. Bought the kit from Small Engine Warehouse. It's basically a bolt-in swap, with the throttle & choke cable routing being the biggest challenge, and I used a large pipe to tweak the muffler discharge so it aligned better with the JD side shield. Now it's got crazy power, doesn't use any oil, quieter, and takes about half the fuel of the old Onan.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looked it up and they have several kits for this model JD.