Engine Suddenly Dies

djg618

Threads
Last time while I was mowing, the engine just dies. I had been mowing for about an hour. I shut off the blade, turn off the key and set the brake. I open the seat compartment thinking it was the seat switch. Got back on and it started right up.
after mowing a strip, it did it again. Repeated the process several more times before I limped it back to the garage.

Thinking it was the seat switch that was arcing by the seat bouncing up and down, I replaced the seat switch. I mowed again today and after an hour and a half, if cut out again.
I didn't get off this time but only disengaged the blade and set the brake. Started up after a little cranking. Mowed another strip and then it died. Repeated the process. When it started to die while mowing this time, I pushed it the blade disengage switch, it sputtered, but did not die. I mowed a few yards, it started to die, but this time pushing the mower button didn't help. It died again.

It sounds like an electrical problem. Has this happened on any zero turn?

Any ideas?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Possible engine overheating problem. When was the last time you removed blower housing & cleaned engine cooling fins? I use a shop vac, coat hanger wire etc. to remove dirt & crud from engine. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark
Blower housing is cover on top of engine, cooling fins are on outside of each cylinder head.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193146291479 Cooling fins
https://www.ebay.com/p/691286085?iid=174232904184 Blower housing

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be several things, but also could be as simple as some water in your fuel.
Put up your engine's model numbers, or some pics, and we can try to help.

djg618

Threads
Possible engine overheating problem. When was the last time you removed blower housing & cleaned engine cooling fins? I use a shop vac, coat hanger wire etc. to remove dirt & crud from engine. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark
Blower Housing? Cooling fins? The only fins is the fly wheel fins directly on top. Might not be right term.

Overheating? There's a circuit breaker (or something) that kicks in when the engine get hot? I do check oil level every time. I'll post model later this morning.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could be a few things. Is it a single or a twin cylinder.
Possible engine hot and boiling fuel in carb causing vapor lock. Possibly coil is going bad. Works cold and craps out when hot. Common problem. Possibly starving for fuel. Clogged tank pickup, clogged fuel filter, crap in carb float bowl. Possibly fuel pump going bad.
From your description not a switch problem but time/temp related. When this happens how hot is the carb? Is it to hot to hold you hand on? Some Z's have poor airflow around engine and can overheat carb and boil the fuel. When it start to die does applying the choke make a difference? If it does probably a fuel starvation problem.

djg618

Threads
I do have to crank it for 5 to 10 seconds after it dies before it starts again. Like when it runs out of gas and you restart after refueling.

I will clean the engine with compressed air and put on a new fuel filter before I mow again and try that choke thing next time it happens

Thanks

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When it dies, if you can, pull the fuel line off the carb and crank the engine. Does the fuel pump put out a good flow of fuel? If not and you have replaced the fuel filter check for grass in tank clogging the fuel pickup. You can't look in and see this. You have to pull the pickup out of the tank

djg618

Threads
After thinking about it, it sounds like my old craftsman that I bought it used. It would just die from overheating. Had to remove hood and all the panels around the engine. Then it never happened again.
This zero turn for some reason is starting to do it. Someone said the battery was bad and the draw of the PTO was draining it and causing the shut down. So I put the charger on for about 3 hours until it went down.
I blew out all the debris around the engine and the fins around the spark plugs were clean on the front side. I'd have to remove the cover to get to the back side. Is that the blower housingIMG_9648.JPG you mentioned?
I also change the fuel filter and cleaned the foam air pre-filter which was covered in grass. The fuel filter does look dirty; see photo.

Started to mow but then the rain came in so I'll have to try it out tomorrow.

djg618

Threads
Got through the whole yard without it cutting out on me. It was 10 degrees cooler, but I don't think that makes a difference to an engine. I had changed the fuel filter, which looked dark. The pre-filter on the air filter was covered in grass. I also cleaned out around the engine. The fins around the spark plug looked clear, but if it does it again, I'll pop the top and clean it out better.

Thanks