Engine Stops

rotten richard

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Onan powered 416-h Wheelhorse tractor. it will start fine and then for no reason stop. This can happen within minutes of a cold start or my take an hour of running before it happens. This happens if the tractor is in motion or setting still, idling or running wide open. The engine will start right back up when this happens. Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Onan engines I have had all (at one time or another) had problems with fuel delivery... either from the tank or a blockage in the carb... I would look there first... :smile:KennyV

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello, I have moved your post to the Toro/Wheelhorse Forum. You will have better luck finding assistance there. :wink:

Thanks for joining LawnMowerForum!!!

ghxl1638

Forum Newbie
Threads
For the last 1-2 years I have also experienced a similar problem with my Toro WheelHorse hxl 16-38 mower. It stalls after running for about 15 minutes. It will restart easily and then stall again after 1 -2 minutes. This repeated stalling goes on until I quit and the engine cools. I have tried to have this repaired twice when I have the engineered serviced by two different shops.

I have also tried loosening gas tank cap, high octane gasoline, stabilized gasoline, and cleaned the air filter. I have not tried cleaning the carbuerator. Someone also suggested replacing the ignition coli.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Someone also suggested replacing the ignition coli.

WELCOME to LMF..

Next time it happens... pull the plug wire & check if you still have a good spark... that will tell you if the coil is failing due to heat... :smile:KennyV

snapsstorer

Threads
i have a wheel horse 8/4 speed that would start and run for 15 to 20 seconds then quit. i thought it was a fuel system problem myself, until i asked someone else and asked me about the points, condenser, and the coil. i replaced the coil and it started right up and ran great, so do check and see if your coil is bad. they can get pretty pricey at a dealer. i just got lucky and got mine for $24. i just did not think that the coil could have been the problem.:ashamed::mur: