engine speed too low HRR2163VXA

bsmiley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all:
I cleaned my carb main jet and main nozzle. I cleaned the bowl and replaced ALL the gaskets. I replaced the spark plug too. It's been running very smooth but when new (back in 2006) I'd really have to hustle behind it to keep pace if I had the speed lever pressed all the way.

The choke is closing all the way and all the springs are attached properly. It runs great and I feel like the carb is clean, gaskets are right but the engine speed is simply too low. If I put it to the slow setting it cuts off.

I have attached a couple of pics with the mower off. I also included the speed adjust procedure (which I got from this forum) I circled what I believe is the governor spring tab. I just want to make sure that this is what I am supposed to bend to set the engine speed. Can anyone confirm? I don't want to bend the tab if it isn't the correct one.
Also, wouldn't it be easier to bend the spring a little bit to tighten it up instead of trying to bend the gov spring tab? That spring tab is going to be tough to bend...

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

• hrr216govspeedadjust_zps6d087673.jpg
    hrr216govspeedadjust_zps6d087673.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 36
  • gov linkage 2 edit.jpg
    gov linkage 2 edit.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 31
  • gov linkage 1.jpg
    gov linkage 1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 36

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I also included the speed adjust procedure (which I got from this forum) I circled what I believe is the governor spring tab. I just want to make sure that this is what I am supposed to bend to set the engine speed. Can anyone confirm? I don't want to bend the tab if it isn't the correct one.
Also, wouldn't it be easier to bend the spring a little bit to tighten it up instead of trying to bend the gov spring tab? That spring tab is going to be tough to bend

The procedure shown is for the MAXIMUM speed adjustment. To adjust the IDLE (slow) speed, there is a throttle stop screw on your mower's carburetor; make sure the engine is fully warmed up, and use a tachometer to set the engine speed to 1,700 rpm:

idle_zps9c7eaccf.jpg

bsmiley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Robert, this solved my problem. Its idling great now.