engine running

corvairbob

Threads
i have a friend that called with her wheel horse rider an 8-25 model 70044-9900001 and up that will start but will not move in any gear. so i took a ride over and of course it had a dead battery. however for some fast troubleshooting i made sure the drive belt was still on the pulleys and not full of oil and the drive chain was still on the axle and transmission.

so for some fast troubleshooting i moved myself back and forth in the seat and watched the pulley on the bottom of the transmission to see if it would move as i put in thru the gears with the clutch depressed and released.
i saw the pulley move in all the gears with the clutch depressed to release some pressure form the engine and i saw it move at different speeds to tell me the trans is still connected to the pulley and did not move when the clutch was released, also the mower did not move either.

i could not say if the keys got sheared on any pulleys but she said it worked good a month ago. and when i inspected it from the back side all the parts did look to be connected they were dirty but there. and the pulleys did not just slip on the shafts.

so outside of a key on the trans or engine that sheared at the last time driven what might i look for. the drive belt does look to be plenty tight as the linkage has a bit of play when the pedal is released to tells me the belt has not worn enough to allow the release bar to tighen up but that does not mean the belt is not slipping now. there has to be something going on but to save time for a fast troubleshooting maybe someone here has had this happen and has a fast place for me to look. thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things I would check. First, I would jack up the rear end and put it on jackstands. Start the unit and check to see if the wheels turn when off the ground. If they spin hold one wheel and watch the other. If it still turns I’m not leaning towards a transmission problem. Second. when was the last time the drive belt was changed? I suspect it has been awhile ago. If they don’t turn, under load, I would replace the belt.

corvairbob

Threads
thanks i confirmed the wheels. so yes i suspect the drive belt or the spring tensioner. i told them i can't do that at there house and they will need to get it to me.
even though it appeared to be ok with at fast test i did when it is under power from the engine that is quite a difference. thanks

i did a fast parts lookup and it appears there are 5 serial number selections. i need the serial number and not the model numbers. so under this model wheel horse rider an 8-25 model 70044-9900001 would that drive belt be the same part for all the serial numbers? i hate to drive 9 miles to get a serial number.

Last edited:

corvairbob

Threads
ok this is what i came up with so i will look under this set of numbers and go with it thansk

70044 (8-25) - Toro Rear-Engine Riding Mower (SN: 099000001 - 099999999) (1999) Parts Lists & Diagrams​

corvairbob

Threads
i did find oem parts on ebay so if she gets it to me i will get a belt and the drive spring for that just in case that got weak and put those into it. unless i do find other issues. thanks

corvairbob

Threads
ok this turned out to be the drive belt idler pulley it was froze. so i got both the drive and the belt idler pulleys and the drive belt only because it is a son of a gun to remove. so i have them ebay ordered now and in a week it will take maybe an hour to replace and get it back on the lawn for her. thanks.