Export thread

Engine rotation

S

skipper124

I have a Remington Rodeo 2-stroke chainsaw. I'm assuming it has a B/S engine. My problem is the starter broke and I read they discontinued the part. The only way I can think to start it is with a drill on the crank nut. Which way do I set it? Clockwise or counterclockwise?

sgkent

sgkent

why not post the model and serial. That said, can't you tell from the way the starter rope was attached?

S

skipper124

Not really. It has more compression counterclockwise I noticed. Not sure about the serial but it's a 5118R. I put my electric Dewalt set CCW and it kept spinning the chuck off. My 18volt Black and Decker isn't strong enough to turn it fast enough. Don't know what I'm going to do. It's a shame because the engine runs great!

StarTech

StarTech

Well you are so off base it isn't funny. First the RM5118R (41BY80AG983) is a MTD saw. But yes the starter PN 753-06974 is NLA.

As which way it turn is common sense. Flywheel side turns CCW while the chain clutch side turn CW. Otherwise the saw would run backwards.

S

skipper124

Never claimed to be a professional mechanic but thanks anyway.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

There are lots of people parting out lots of saws on ebay. I have fixed lots of saws with used parts off Ebay when new parts are NLA.

I

ILENGINE

Well you are so off base it isn't funny. First the RM5118R (41BY80AG983) is a MTD saw. But yes the starter PN 753-06974 is NLA.

As which way it turn is common sense. Flywheel side turns CCW while the chain clutch side turn CW. Otherwise the saw would run backwards.
A lot of the Remington saws made by MTD were actually McCullochs or somehow linked to McCulloch, I have even ran into saws with a DOM of 2021 have obsolete parts because of the McCulloch connection.

StarTech

StarTech

Never claimed to be a professional mechanic but thanks anyway.
Never said you were but common sense is what needed even for most of us though. It is something our schools should teaching today's youth. It is sorta like knowing which end of a screwdriver to use.

StarTech

StarTech

A lot of the Remington saws made by MTD were actually McCullochs or somehow linked to McCulloch, I have even ran into saws with a DOM of 2021 have obsolete parts because of the McCulloch connection.
A lot thing today's equipment is not supported like it should be. It like the 9 month old small ATV from TSC not having parts available even though they current sale the same model.

And mentioning Remington I got a string trimmer is the shop now that both intake screws were broken off. Don't try using an extractor either as they are red Loctite in place on those M5-1.00 screws. I just had to cut out the extractor tip that broke off. I re-tap to M6-1.00 and ordering a box of them from McMasters. IF it weren't being do this it would have been the replacement with a short block. A second Remington only had one hour use when the ignition coil failed.

sgkent

sgkent

my instinct says cheaper to buy new saw.

StarTech

StarTech

This what dumping equipment looks like. OEMs are making equipment and then not supplying repair parts so the users are having to replaced equipment and just filling up our landfills.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

The brand name Remington is just one of those prostitute brands that will license anything from anybody. No support of any kind. Just slap the sticker with the brand name on it and sell it. There is lots of Remington branded junk out there.

StarTech

StarTech

And yes I have seeing more junk equipment being sold that is coming into my shop wasting my time.

What consumers are doing to themselves is putting us as repair shop out of business by buying this junk because it cheap to buy. They need to buying quality instead quantity but most of the consuming just see the initial bottom line.

Who can repair a $115 dollar chainsaw when our labor rate is $55/hour or more. Just no way we can spend two plus hours plus parts repairing them. Even when I cut my labor to under an hour it still too costly to repair this junk.

I

ILENGINE

The brand name Remington is just one of those prostitute brands that will license anything from anybody. No support of any kind. Just slap the sticker with the brand name on it and sell it. There is lots of Remington branded junk out there.
Remington power products was purchased by MTD a few years ago. So the Remington branded products that you are seeing at the box stores are just like Troybilt, Cub Cadet etc.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Years ago when Remington arms was in the toilet they started licensing their name to anybody. Is Remington power products an actual company or just a name owned by MTD now to slap a name on the cheapest thing they can have some offshore company build with no support of any kind.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Maybe i could sell my name to MTD..... Scrubcadet 18" chainsaw......

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I would buy one. ?

T

Tinkerer200

IF you really like the saw and don't want to send it to the land fill, do a little thinking, perhaps you can fabricate a replacement part OR, remove, cut out, shroud and do something simple like attach a scavenged rope spool to the flywheel side if only using occasionally. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Walt Conner

I

ILENGINE

Years ago when Remington arms was in the toilet they started licensing their name to anybody. Is Remington power products an actual company or just a name owned by MTD now to slap a name on the cheapest thing they can have some offshore company build with no support of any kind.
Most of the products with the Remington name are actual MTD products build in their own MTD or contracted factories. The Remington pushmowers and trimmers may have their own Powermore engines etc. The Remington trimmers are the same units as their Troybilt, Yard Machine units. The Remington chainsaw thing is kind of weird because some of the parts seem to come back to McCulloch even on their units sitting on store shelves now. Now some of that may be due to parts diagram errors, I don't know. Like the part number for a new on the shelf Remington chainsaw bar shows NLA.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

When folks bring in these kind of equipment i have had such a hard time finding parts lists and then parts i tell folks i don't work on them. They can buy a new one for what i would charge to fix it if it needed any parts.

sgkent

sgkent

753-06974 comes up on ebay occasionally. There was one sold 2/25/2022 and one 4/21/2022

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I have found on a lot of the saws if you have the broken piece in hand you can look at ebay listings pictures that don't match the exact part number but is the same part. Recoils for some poulans are like that.

D

DeadmanRoss316

I have a Remington Rodeo 2-stroke chainsaw. I'm assuming it has a B/S engine. My problem is the starter broke and I read they discontinued the part. The only way I can think to start it is with a drill on the crank nut. Which way do I set it? Clockwise or counterclockwise?
Is the stem still in good shape?

F

fixit1ddh

The reasons I will not buy a Echo product. No parts support.

D

davisjt1977

Whenever I buy a new tool to replace an old/broken tool, I usually buy the same brand and model if I can. That way I can usually make a good one out of the parts I accumulate.