Engine rotation

skipper124

Threads
I have a Remington Rodeo 2-stroke chainsaw. I'm assuming it has a B/S engine. My problem is the starter broke and I read they discontinued the part. The only way I can think to start it is with a drill on the crank nut. Which way do I set it? Clockwise or counterclockwise?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
why not post the model and serial. That said, can't you tell from the way the starter rope was attached?

skipper124

Threads
Not really. It has more compression counterclockwise I noticed. Not sure about the serial but it's a 5118R. I put my electric Dewalt set CCW and it kept spinning the chuck off. My 18volt Black and Decker isn't strong enough to turn it fast enough. Don't know what I'm going to do. It's a shame because the engine runs great!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well you are so off base it isn't funny. First the RM5118R (41BY80AG983) is a MTD saw. But yes the starter PN 753-06974 is NLA.

As which way it turn is common sense. Flywheel side turns CCW while the chain clutch side turn CW. Otherwise the saw would run backwards.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are lots of people parting out lots of saws on ebay. I have fixed lots of saws with used parts off Ebay when new parts are NLA.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well you are so off base it isn't funny. First the RM5118R (41BY80AG983) is a MTD saw. But yes the starter PN 753-06974 is NLA.

As which way it turn is common sense. Flywheel side turns CCW while the chain clutch side turn CW. Otherwise the saw would run backwards.
A lot of the Remington saws made by MTD were actually McCullochs or somehow linked to McCulloch, I have even ran into saws with a DOM of 2021 have obsolete parts because of the McCulloch connection.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Never claimed to be a professional mechanic but thanks anyway.
Never said you were but common sense is what needed even for most of us though. It is something our schools should teaching today's youth. It is sorta like knowing which end of a screwdriver to use.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
A lot of the Remington saws made by MTD were actually McCullochs or somehow linked to McCulloch, I have even ran into saws with a DOM of 2021 have obsolete parts because of the McCulloch connection.
A lot thing today's equipment is not supported like it should be. It like the 9 month old small ATV from TSC not having parts available even though they current sale the same model.

And mentioning Remington I got a string trimmer is the shop now that both intake screws were broken off. Don't try using an extractor either as they are red Loctite in place on those M5-1.00 screws. I just had to cut out the extractor tip that broke off. I re-tap to M6-1.00 and ordering a box of them from McMasters. IF it weren't being do this it would have been the replacement with a short block. A second Remington only had one hour use when the ignition coil failed.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfl