Engine Question

Eagleatic1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all I was given a Toro riding mower. The engine turns over but there is a clunking noise when i turn the engine over. My question is it has a Intek 18HP B/S Engine. If i wanted to go with a bigger engine could i just swap the engines out. And what engine would you recommend or should i rebuild the 18HP Intek i have now. Thanks....

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums...

It will be difficult to guess about rebuilding before you open it up to see what is making the 'clunking noise'... take it apart and see what you find... It may be a minor thing with the flywheel or may be a major internal problem... :smile:KennyV

TnHusky

Threads

It will be difficult to guess about rebuilding before you open it up to see what is making the 'clunking noise'... take it apart and see what you find... It may be a minor thing with the flywheel or may be a major internal problem... :smile:KennyV

As Kenny has stated it's hard to say before looking but if it is internal and the mower is good then I'd cruise on down to a local supplier and purchase a new one before spending a lot on the old one. Some of the earlier Inteks were not so good.

scott47429

Threads
i would open it up see what happened to it but a clunking noise probably not good and yes you can go to a bigger one if you want to just get the numbers off the old one and ask for a direct replacement just make sure of the shaft length and diameter i just replaces the 19.5 horse B&S on my parents John Deere cause the rod broke and i went to a 21 horse bolted right on pluged right in and was cutting grass in 45 mins to a hour it came complete all i had to do was put it on add oil and go

Eagleatic1

Forum Newbie
Threads
i would open it up see what happened to it but a clunking noise probably not good and yes you can go to a bigger one if you want to just get the numbers off the old one and ask for a direct replacement just make sure of the shaft length and diameter i just replaces the 19.5 horse B&S on my parents John Deere cause the rod broke and i went to a 21 horse bolted right on pluged right in and was cutting grass in 45 mins to a hour it came complete all i had to do was put it on add oil and go

thanks alot i am going to tear it down and see whats going on then go from there

Eagleatic1

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thaqnks Kenny i will tear it down and take a look i'm crossing my fingers it's not a major issue.

Eagleatic1

Forum Newbie
Threads
As Kenny has stated it's hard to say before looking but if it is internal and the mower is good then I'd cruise on down to a local supplier and purchase a new one before spending a lot on the old one. Some of the earlier Inteks were not so good.

Thanks for the info guess i will tear it apart then go from there the mower is in great shape.