Engine Oil Light

rjmillerjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Z725 with 350 hours. Lately going down a slight hill, quick turn to the left, the engine oil comes on for 2 maybe 3 seconds. It’s been hot, upper 80s low 90s. Running straight 30 weigh oil, exactly to the full mark.

Any ideas?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

rjmillerjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your help. I thought I had the right oil but I’ll double check.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Vertical engines by the nature of their shape have sumps that are very shallow with a large surface area.
Thus on a quite moderate slope the oil level on one side of the engine can drop down to 1/3 the usual height.
If the engine has an oil level sensor this will be low enough to cause the oil level light to come on & on many engines stop it being restarted.
If the engine has an oil pressure light then it will only come on if the pick up tube is sucking air cause all the oil is on the opposite side of the engine.
And this happens regardless of the viscosity of the oil.
Make sure the oil is at the full mark before you mow & try to avoid doing what is causing the oil light to come on .

lugbolt

Threads
did you check the oil level with the machine sitting on 4 properly inflated tires and on level ground? MUST be level! Even a little out of level will throw your dipstick oil reading off.

Are you 100% positive it's at the full line? Above the checkered area?

If no abnormal engine noises, filter is OEM, and the oil level is perfect (on level ground) you may very well be seeing either a failing sensor, or perhaps some kind of wiring issue. Kohler's have been known to have issues with their low oil sensors among other things.