engine has muffled sound at times

SlopeMan2

Threads
26 hp B&S has 500 hours on it, and runs great. A few times lately however, it has kind of a muffled sound, and decrease in power. It did that yesterday a couple of times, and then, just ran great, and normal, the rest of the day. Does this sound like it was a little obstruction of fuel flow through carb or what. Otherwise, it is just as good as new - uses no oil, and starts easy with the automatic choke.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post B&S model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx, code xxxxxxx numbers from blower housing, engine cover.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check for vacuum leaks. Spray carb cleaner around carb mount and any intake pipes. If it smooths out you have a vacuum leak.

Probably could use a carb and fuel tank cleaning.

Clean the cylinder cooling fins. Neglect this and you will get engine damage. It's a yearly maintenance item in your engine manual.

slomo

SlopeMan2

Threads
Thanks slomo, I will check on the intake leak first. Doesn't do to brag. I was just telling a friend how proud I was of this engine - 500 hours without even a hic-up, ha. Sounds like the intake will be good to check first. Thanks.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks slomo, I will check on the intake leak first. Doesn't do to brag. I was just telling a friend how proud I was of this engine - 500 hours without even a hic-up, ha. Sounds like the intake will be good to check first. Thanks.
I would clean the cooling fins first. Doubt they have ever been inspected.

slomo