Export thread

Engine flooding even when turned off - Craftsman LTS2000 w/ 19.5hp Briggs & Stratton

W

webdeveloper02

Engine flooding even when turned off - Craftsman LTS2000 w/ 19.5hp Briggs & Stratton

Hello,

First some quick background:

My Craftsman TS200 was in storage for ~3 1/2 yrs before being put back in use last month. As expected it would not start after sitting for so long, and in order to get it running I had to take apart the carb and float and clean out a nasty clog and any old fuel left that didn't get drained out when going into storage. After a new battery and cleaning everything out and putting it back together I was able to get the mower up and running and cut the yard w/o problem. That was ~3 weeks ago.

The Problem Today:

I went to start her back up today and she would not turn over. This is not because of the battery (brand new) but because I discovered a good bit of fuel backed up into the carb and all the way into the air intake. Upon removing the spark plug fuel spilled out everywhere. With the spark plug removed fuel drips out unless I disconnect the fuel line at the carb.

I suspect I have not put something back together right after the carb rebuild 3 weeks ago. My suspicion right now is on the throttle assembly linkages or a stuck float... so I thought I would put up some pictures in hopes someone sees something not connected right on the throttle/linkages or has other ideas on why the engine floods when off?

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
10.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg

I

ILENGINE

Re: Engine flooding even when turned off - Craftsman LTS2000 w/ 19.5hp Briggs & Strat

I highly suspect that some piece of crap has come loose inside the fuel line/carb, and is now stuck under the float needle valve preventing it from sealing. You wll need to clean the carb again, possibly a carb kit, and then change the oil.

Also either use compressed air or just remove the spark plug, and let the cylinder dry out on its own, Cranking the engine to blow out the fuel can create static electricity, which I have the personal experience of having it light.

M

Mikel1

Re: Engine flooding even when turned off - Craftsman LTS2000 w/ 19.5hp Briggs & Strat

I agree with ILENGINE. I would also make sure fuel tank is free of debris/dirt.

W

webdeveloper02

Thanks for the feedback ILENGINE and MIKE1 - looks like taking the carb off and a teardown is on the list for first thing tomorrow morning.

T

txzrider2

+1 for the crap under the needle... had this exact thing happen, now I put fuel valves on all my lawn equip and keep up with the filters!

Boobala

Boobala

Some NICE pic's .... just out of curiosity, what did you use to clean that BRAND-NEW looking engine ..?? And NOT being a smart arse about your issue, if the ENTIRE fuel system was as clean as the outside you probably wouldn't even had to visit with us .. :laughing:..:laughing:

B

bertsmobile1

While it does not show the linkages, this is the best carb cleaning manual you will find on the web.
Step by step photos.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

I wander if that guy is still hanging around the forum since May 2014 ??