Export thread

Engine dies when shifting out of neutral with PTO engaged

B

BehattedLlama

Having a problem with a Kohler 20hp. Did an engine swap and put it in a DYT4000 that had a Briggs engine that seized up. Everything is working normally on its own-- it starts and drives fine, and the PTO starts and runs normally when in neutral with the mower deck attached. However, when I shift out of neutral with the PTO engaged, the engine sputters and dies. Thoughts?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I would start with a seat safety switch..... usually what i do is unplug it, and put a insulated wire loop stripped on both ends into the wiring harness that plugs into the switch.... if it acts fine then most likely the switch is bad.

StarTech

StarTech

Sorry this mower has a NC switch jumping it puts the system into full time magneto kill mode. Also just unplug the switch will not work as the connector probably contains a shorting strip if it is like one here. If the connector is loose it is the same as unplugging it.

But I do need the 917 model from the serial number tag to verify that I look up the correct wiring diagram.

W

weedwarrior

Usually its the red safety wire behind the rear right tire I believe, it rubs on the frame and shorts out. try looking for that. You will have to take the tire off to fix it.