Engine dies on push mower after 10-15 mins run

markgkda

Forum Newbie
Threads
After my mower runs for around 10-15 minutes it kills and won't restart until it has set awhile? I have changed the plug, air cleaner, changed oil, put fresh non ethanol gas in tank, cleaned off motor and the only thing I can think to do now maybe is rebuild carb. It runs good up until the point it just shuts down so Im second guessing the carb problem but there isn't much left to look at?

Its a 6.25hp Tecumseh on a Craftsman mower model # 917.378341

primerbulb120

Lawn Addict
Threads
Run the mower until it dies. Then remove the air filter and spray starting fluid into the air intake. Then try to start the mower. Report back with the results.

Mikel1

Threads
Do you have a spark when it shuts down?

markgkda

Forum Newbie
Threads
Never looked at that. It shuts down quick without really sputtering so I'm thinking it could be spark over gas issue?

dixiebonsai

Threads
Sorry had a theory but now that I re read your post I see Im wrong

markgkda

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its a push, craftsman 6.5 tecumseh. It does have a primer and that seems to be fine? Mower starts right up after a couple of pushes on it

markgkda

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tried just about everything now have been told that it could be the coil not connecting to the magnet after it warms up?. Pulled the coil and both the magnet and coil had heavy rust build up on contact surfaces so i cleaned them all well with a Dremel fine brush wheel and all grounding contact points for coil as well.. Does anyone know the gap for setting it back up? Im thinking that it cant be that crucial but trying to find out before reassembling.