Export thread

Engine dies on push mower after 10-15 mins run

M

markgkda

After my mower runs for around 10-15 minutes it kills and won't restart until it has set awhile? I have changed the plug, air cleaner, changed oil, put fresh non ethanol gas in tank, cleaned off motor and the only thing I can think to do now maybe is rebuild carb. It runs good up until the point it just shuts down so Im second guessing the carb problem but there isn't much left to look at?

Its a 6.25hp Tecumseh on a Craftsman mower model # 917.378341

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

Run the mower until it dies. Then remove the air filter and spray starting fluid into the air intake. Then try to start the mower. Report back with the results.

M

markgkda

will do thanks

M

Mikel1

Do you have a spark when it shuts down?

M

markgkda

Never looked at that. It shuts down quick without really sputtering so I'm thinking it could be spark over gas issue?

D

deerescott

Breather on gas cap??

M

markgkda

Breather on gas cap??

Yeah thats one of the first things i checked. It has a green foam element in the cap and its totally clean like brand new.

D

dixiebonsai

Sorry had a theory but now that I re read your post I see Im wrong

M

markgkda

Its a push, craftsman 6.5 tecumseh. It does have a primer and that seems to be fine? Mower starts right up after a couple of pushes on it

M

markgkda

Tried just about everything now have been told that it could be the coil not connecting to the magnet after it warms up?. Pulled the coil and both the magnet and coil had heavy rust build up on contact surfaces so i cleaned them all well with a Dremel fine brush wheel and all grounding contact points for coil as well.. Does anyone know the gap for setting it back up? Im thinking that it cant be that crucial but trying to find out before reassembling.

M

markgkda

Well..... I cleaned up the coil and magnet surfaces and all the grounding connection points and re gapped. Started up easier than ever and I ran it for a little over a half hour and everything was fine. I shut it down and restarted it and it fired up right away. It appears that I may have found the issue. It does sputter very slightly but not consistent and is a weak putter so I'm thinking that the carb may be a little dirty or the needle valve jet seat may have some crap in it. But of now I'm quite pleased and it didn't cost me anything but time. This forum is a great resource and the internet WOW. What did we do before the web? I needed to find the gap distance for the engine and of course, a couple of google inquirers and a plethorha of info was at my fingertips, including several places to get the correct gap!!!