Export thread

Engine burns oil and dies

A

AdamHword

It’s a 18hp vanguard engine from the 90s but it’s burning oil and gasoline is getting into the oil. It’s also runs, sputters and dies

B

bertsmobile1

IT needs a carb rebuild / replacement.
Fuel is overflowing through the carb into the engine then into the sump thinning the oil

S

slomo

Yup, carb needle and seat issue as Bert said.

Make sure you change the oil a couple times AFTER you get the carb fixed 100%.

R

Richard Milhous

Is the spark plug fouled? Is the compression low? Bad rings could be a contributor. In which case rebuilding the carb is putting new wine in old wineskins.

A

AdamHword

All new carburetor

S

slomo

All new carburetor
WHERE did you get it from? Amazon or Ebay? Guessing Amazon as you still have a carb problem.

Either rebuild your old Briggs carb or replace with a new OEM Briggs carb.

B

bertsmobile1

Well their is only 4 ways fuel can get from the tank into the sump, in order of the ocurance .
1) overflowing carb
2) fairies
3 ) leaking pump diaphragm
4) young child "helping daddy"

R

Richard Milhous

5) Severe blowby (broken ring/s). I've seen this ONCE (on a badly rebuilt car engine).

R

rustycat

It’s a 18hp vanguard engine from the 90s but it’s burning oil and gasoline is getting into the oil. It’s also runs, sputters and dies
Replace the carburetor fuel solinoid on the bottom of the float bowl or fit a fuel shut off valve in the fuel line, turn off the gas when it's not running. Also make sure the needle and seat is working properly.

S

slomo

Also make sure the needle and seat is working properly
Great tip.

L

lbrac

In addition to the other tips already offered, if the key is left on when the engine isn't running, the carb solenoid valve will be open until the battery goes dead. When the fuel tank is located above the level of the carburetor, a leaky needle and seat can cause fuel to overflow from the carb into the cylinder and the crankcase. If this happens, the oil level will be high due to the fuel in the oil, and the oil on the dip stick will smell of gasoline. Diluted oil viscosity will be very low and can cause the engine to be ruined if run hard enough, long enough. I had a neighbor throw a rod on the engine of her nice mower because of this, and another neighbor left his ignition on more than a couple of times, but luckily it was caught it before the engine was damaged. An unexpected dead battery could be a sign that this happened. If there is a significant amount of fuel in the oil, it and the filter, if so equipped, should be drained and replaced with new oil before running the engine.

A

amprice09

20220304_153620a.jpg

A

amprice09

This didn't seem to post when i added above videos: Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem on my Honda GXV620 engine. I turn off fuel and it will run, very rough, but runs. When fuel is one it runs, but sounds deep. Blowing smoke bad. I have put on an OEM carb and replaced the fuel solenoid and it's still happening. I have to change the oil after almost every couple hours because it's just full of gas and I don't want to blow the engine. What should I try next? Rings? Gasket leaking somewhere?