Engine 125K05-0186-E1 Hunting & Surging: What am I missing?

Born2Mow

Threads
  • / Engine 125K05-0186-E1 Hunting & Surging: What am I missing?
Just saw this. Watch and see how a mass of grass clippings could jam the governor....

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was able to hold the throttle shaft in one spot. The surging stopped. So I assumed it could be the governor causing the issue.
Surging is either a rich or lean condition. Read your plug for more clues.

Most of the time a dirty carb is the culprit.

Might want to clean the fuel tank out and verify fuel flow AT the carb.

Clean your cylinder cooling fins yearly. It's in your engine manual. Neglect this and you are looking at future engine damage.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spray carb cleaner around where the carb and intake manifold mount to the engine. If it smooths out you found your vacuum leak.

Don't over torque those new parts you put on. All you need is a gentle snug. You might of warped something causing vacuum leaks.

NO impact guns are needed. Leave those for blade removals.

slomo

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Spray carb cleaner around where the carb and intake manifold mount to the engine. If it smooths out you found your vacuum leak.

Don't over those new parts you put on. All you need is a gentle snug. You might of warped something causing vacuum leaks.

NO impact guns are needed. Leave those for blade removals.

slomo
NEver liked the idea of trying to find an induction leak with a flammiable gas / liquid.
Too much of a chance of it igniting while your nose is in there looking closely at what you are doing.
The USA is the only place on the planet whee mechanics get taught to use propane to check for manifold leaks.

Usually for safety reason I would use WD 40 or similar from trigger pack ( because spray can propellants also burn ) as you can see exactly where it is going and if sucked in generates a lot of white smoke but no engine damage.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
NEver liked the idea of trying to find an induction leak with a flammiable gas / liquid.
Too much of a chance of it igniting while your nose is in there looking closely at what you are doing.
The USA is the only place on the planet whee mechanics get taught to use propane to check for manifold leaks.

Usually for safety reason I would use WD 40 or similar from trigger pack ( because spray can propellants also burn ) as you can see exactly where it is going and if sucked in generates a lot of white smoke but no engine damage.
Okay, great tip as usual Bert. Call me a converted WD-40 vacuum leak hunter LOL.

slomo