Eliminating Grass Clumps

ENDER

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm not a professional, but I cut my 8 acres every week. I would like to eliminate the grass clumping up in lines. First, I'm probably cutting too low (2 1/4), so I'll raise the height to 2 1/2. The next thing that I was looking at is purchasing a mulch plate...but my question is did the mower come with mulch blades (My machine is fairly new), or do I need to install the mulch blades that are listed in the accessories?

Much thanks

Mower King

Threads
I'm not a professional, but I cut my 8 acres every week. I would like to eliminate the grass clumping up in lines. First, I'm probably cutting too low (2 1/4), so I'll raise the height to 2 1/2. The next thing that I was looking at is purchasing a mulch plate...but my question is did the mower come with mulch blades (My machine is fairly new), or do I need to install the mulch blades that are listed in the accessories?

Much thanks
We don't know what kind of mower you have or if you have mulch blades....at this point, you are the only person that knows that, until you elaborate

gainestruk

Threads
I've been only mulching for 10 years now, I've used regular blades and mulching, really not much difference on my Gravley, only thing I've found to stop clumps is mowing more often, sometimes I have to mow every 3-4 days, my yard is very sandy and I wear out a set of blades every year, I just look around and find cheapest blades I can, don't care if mulching blades or not.

ENDER

Forum Newbie
Threads
We don't know what kind of mower you have or if you have mulch blades....at this point, you are the only person that knows that, until you elaborate

I'm obviously new here. I posted in the Scag forum so I guess I thought everyone knew...sorry

I have a 72" Scag Turf Tiger II

4getgto

Threads
I honestly think 2 1/2" is still to low. Especially with a 72" deck.
I may be the only one but I mow at 4"-4 1/2" ..?
And never clump..
Not sure if mulching will be any better if your grass is real thick.

Mower King

Threads
I'm obviously new here. I posted in the Scag forum so I guess I thought everyone knew...sorry

I have a 72" Scag Turf Tiger II
IMO...2 1/4" or 2 1/2" is too low to mulch or even just mower, without a clumping problem unless you mow twice a week or more, and more so if, you have the chute blocked off.....even a Turf Tiger!
Mulching grass can make the bottom of the deck get filled and collect debris, another clumping problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And to say it 3 times,
Unless you are mowing a football field or a golf course 4" is the height to go with
At that height you can usually throw with gator blades and in a day the clippings will be gone.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe pull the discharge chute up some, and keep the underside of the deck really clean. And of course mow dry grass. I see around here the grass stays somewhat wet even at 2 or 3 PM some days.

4getgto

Threads
Maybe pull the discharge chute up some, and keep the underside of the deck really clean. And of course mow dry grass. I see around here the grass stays somewhat wet even at 2 or 3 PM some days.
I think Tom3 is right about the discharge chute pointing down too much. I know it's against safety police law but I never run any of the extended or flip up clutes on any mower I have for that reason. "(and makes the deck wider than it has to be.) "