ELECTRICAL GREMLIN

JERSEYJOE

Forum Newbie
Threads
I HAVE AN OLD 1996 EXMARK EXPLORER HAT RUNS GREAT BUT IS POSSESSED. AT TIMES IT WILL START AND RUN FOR 20 MINUTES THEN STALL. WHEN IT DOES THIS THERE IS NO POWER AT THE KEY SWITCH BUT I CAN JUMP THE STARTER FROM THE BATTERY AND IT WILL CRANK. IF I ALSO SUPPLY POWER TO THE CARBURETOR SOLENOID, IT WILL START AND RUN. IF I THEN SHUT IT DOWN AND WALK AWAY IT MIGTH START NORMALLY IN A HOUR OR SO, THE DO THE SAME. IS THERE AN OVERHEAT SWITCH THAT CUTS OFF THE JUICE?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here is a troubleshooting procedure to help you out.

Electrical* problems can be very easy or very difficult, depending on four things.
1. * How well you understand basic electricity.
2. *What tools you have and know how to use.
3. *How well you follow directions.
4. *You don't overlook or assume anything and verify everything.

Remember we cannot see what you are doing. *You are our eyes, ears and fingers in solving this problem. *You must be as accurate as you can when you report back. *The two basic tools we will ask you to use are a test light and a multi-meter. *If you have an assistant when going through these tests it would be very helpful. *These steps work the best when done in order, so please don't jump around. *Now let's solve this problem.

First, check the fuse(s), check battery connections for corrosion (clean if necessary) and *voltage - above 12.5 volts should be good.*

Second, check for power from the battery to one of the large terminals on the solenoid. *One of the wires is connected directly to the battery and has power all the time so one of the large terminals should light a test light or show 12 volts on a meter at all times.*

Third, *check for power at the small terminal of the solenoid while depressing the clutch/brake pedal and holding the key in the start position (you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch). If your solenoid is a four wire solenoid, check both small wire terminals as one is ground and the other is power from the ignition switch. *If your solenoid is a three wire solenoid, make sure the solenoid body is not corroded where it bolts to the chassis of the mower as this is your ground path back to the battery. *If in doubt, remove the solenoid and clean the mounting area down to bare metal. *If there is no power to the small terminal then your problem is most likely a safety switch, ignition switch or in the wiring.*

Fourth, check for power on the other large terminal of the solenoid while holding the key in the start position (you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch). *If you have power what is the voltage?

Fifth, check for power at the starter while holding the key in the start position (assistant again). *If you have power what is the voltage?

Sixth, check your ground circuit back to the battery.

After you have gone through each of the above steps, let us know what happened when you did each step. *At that point we will have great info to tell you how to proceed. *Remember you are our eyes, ears, and fingers, so please be as accurate as possible.

Be as specific as possible with voltage readings as this will help diagnose your problem quicker. *If you do not know how to perform the above checks, just ask and I will try to guide you through it. *Youtube also has some videos and as you know a picture is worth a thousand words.

JERSEYJOE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is a troubleshooting procedure to help you out.

Electrical* problems can be very easy or very difficult, depending on four things.
1. * How well you understand basic electricity.
2. *What tools you have and know how to use.
3. *How well you follow directions.
4. *You don't overlook or assume anything and verify everything.

Remember we cannot see what you are doing. *You are our eyes, ears and fingers in solving this problem. *You must be as accurate as you can when you report back. *The two basic tools we will ask you to use are a test light and a multi-meter. *If you have an assistant when going through these tests it would be very helpful. *These steps work the best when done in order, so please don't jump around. *Now let's solve this problem.

First, check the fuse(s), check battery connections for corrosion (clean if necessary) and *voltage - above 12.5 volts should be good.*

Second, check for power from the battery to one of the large terminals on the solenoid. *One of the wires is connected directly to the battery and has power all the time so one of the large terminals should light a test light or show 12 volts on a meter at all times.*

Third, *check for power at the small terminal of the solenoid while depressing the clutch/brake pedal and holding the key in the start position (you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch). If your solenoid is a four wire solenoid, check both small wire terminals as one is ground and the other is power from the ignition switch. *If your solenoid is a three wire solenoid, make sure the solenoid body is not corroded where it bolts to the chassis of the mower as this is your ground path back to the battery. *If in doubt, remove the solenoid and clean the mounting area down to bare metal. *If there is no power to the small terminal then your problem is most likely a safety switch, ignition switch or in the wiring.*

Fourth, check for power on the other large terminal of the solenoid while holding the key in the start position (you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch). *If you have power what is the voltage?

Fifth, check for power at the starter while holding the key in the start position (assistant again). *If you have power what is the voltage?

Sixth, check your ground circuit back to the battery.

After you have gone through each of the above steps, let us know what happened when you did each step. *At that point we will have great info to tell you how to proceed. *Remember you are our eyes, ears, and fingers, so please be as accurate as possible.

Be as specific as possible with voltage readings as this will help diagnose your problem quicker. *If you do not know how to perform the above checks, just ask and I will try to guide you through it. *Youtube also has some videos and as you know a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thank you for the reply. I am certainly versed in basic automotive electrical systems, however the EXMARK in my opinion has too many safety switches. I have jumped the seat switch long ago. A dirty connection seems possible since this is so intemittant. The other day I had it idling for 20 minutes and then it just stalled like someone shut it off. after that there was no power at the ignition switch. Is there an overheat switch that will do this? It would be a shame to trash this fine mower over something that I think is an easy repair when found.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Power to the ignition switch comes from the large terminal on the solenoid. Step #2. It returns to the solenoid through the switch. Step #3. Please go through the procedure.

JERSEYJOE

Forum Newbie
Threads
WELL I FIXED IT. I ORDERED A NEW WRE HARNESS AND THE PROBLEM WENT AWAY. THE OLD HARNESS WAS MELTED DOWN NEAR THE LEFT SIDE ARM REST, AND THE FUSE HOLDER WITH THE 2 PURPLE WIRES MELTED. I ALSO REPLACED THE SAFETY MODULE AND JUMPED THE SEAT SWITCH SO THAT IT NOW STAYS RUNNING WHEN MY FAT ARSE GETS OFF.