Electric start not working

brendakr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys. I have two issues. First, let me start by letting you know I'm not currently where I can get details off of these engines. Just looking for suggestions to try.
#1 is a Lawnboy push mower. The electric starter doesn't seem to turn fast enough to start the engine without starter fluid. I can pull start it, tho'. Battery is charged. Any idea what would slow down the starter? It's not in tall grass, deck is clear and it use to work.
#2 is a Poulon push mower. Again, electric starter won't start it. This one is extremely hard to pull start. I''m no spring chicken, but I can barely pull it with both hands. Any idea what makes it so hard?
Thanks in advance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From my experience, the Lawn Boy and Poulan could probably start easier if you gave it a good tune-up and clean and rebuild the carbs, sett the float level a little rich. I’ve had great luck doing this as you will get a richer air/fuel mixture, which makes for easier starting.

brendakr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, Rivets. I'm still curious why the electric starter turns so slowly. It just doesn't seem to have the oomph it use to.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the spark plug and try starting the engine. If it spins over properly, you have other problems. If it spins over slowly, you either have a weak battery or dirty connections, causing resistance in the circuit. Just because the battery is charged doesn’t mean it is still a good battery.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
When you say it is extremely hard to pull start, are you saying that you have to pull it a bunch of times? Or is it really hard to pull the handle at all? These could go together with the electric starter not turning it over fast enough. If this is the case, check to see if the brake is staying on. If the brake isn't rubbing on the flywheel, look for some other resistance to the engine turning over. Like heavy wire or rope wrapped tight around the blade. Maybe even the coil got loose and is rubbing on the flywheel.