Electric/Battery professionally?

MowerMike

Threads
I don't believe that even the large mowers with Lithium-ion batteries would do or last the time needed when you're talking about moving something that weighs 800 lbs.

It is technologically possible, but it would make the cost prohibitive. They would cost about the same amount as small electric cars with lithium-ion batteries, probably a minimum of $25,000, which makes them something that is not ever going to see a commercial reality. When I was a kid I used to read Popular Mechanics and they said that someday we'd all be flying around in aerocars, but of course we all just drive the same old terrestrial-bound conveyances. The old fashioned gasoline internal combustion engine is simply getting cleaner, quieter and more fuel efficient, so it's going to be the main type of engine in use for many years to come.

Nonetheless, small electric machinery has it's place. I have eight chainsaws, and they are all either battery powered or corded electric types. I also have two battery powered string trimmers, a corded electric edger/trencher and corded electric dethatcher.

Still, when it comes down to it sometimes you just need to use basic manual tools. Last week I dug out and removed a large mostly rotted tree stump using mainly a sledge hammer and crowbar, with a little help from my corded electric 14" chainsaw. The rake is one of the most useful and versatile garden tools ever devised. And of course, my other great friend in the garden is the wheelbarrow.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree that something like the Greenworks mite be useful for a professional as a detailing and trimming mower but I don't believe that even the large mowers with Lithium-ion batteries would do or last the time needed when you're talking about moving something that weighs 800 lbs. I think the problem is in the fact that the batteries are providing power for not only the drives but also the motors for the blades.

I tend to agree with user mowermike when he says it is technically possible with today's currently available technology. I say that based upon my experience using a Segway personal human transporter since 2004. I have Post-polio Syndrome(can only walk, unassisted, for about two city blocks before muscle-fatigue sets in) and this machine has "changed my life"!!!!!! Now I can go to the mall with my wife and her "puppies are crying" and I'm still ready to shop some more:0) It's the early light, compact P-Series(no longer available) and has a metal hydride battery pack(contains two separate packs with rebuildable cells). The newer Segways(since about 2008) use the Lithium-Ion, which as stated are lighter, go farther and take less time to charge. And of course my Segway is desined to carry approx. 200lbs at speeds up to 12mph(the newer Segways w/Lions can carry a little more weight and go up to around 15-18mph). The metal hydrides have served me well in that they run approx. 8 hours on a single charge and take about the same to re-charge with the original cells lasting 6+ years(I had mine re-built in 2011 for approx. $650). I don't know anything about the Hydrogear motors in the Zeon, but the Segways are designed more for their specific purpose(and BTW are indeed Zero Turn as well as gyroscope/motherboard balancing and forward/reverse drive). So the technology would work, but as pointed out by user Ric it would need separate battery packs to move the mower and to power the spindles. And of course, as mentioned, the cost will be the determinig factor in the viability of this type of mower(I got a "deal" on my Segway 8 years ago, but a new one today will cost about the same as a really good late-model used sub-compact car. Hey, they could even incorporate the Segway technology and get rid of the handles for forward/reverse:0)

Sunyimin43

Forum Newbie
Threads
Corded electric tools offer a good balance of price, power, weight and convenience. Most are either 7 amp or 12 amp (at 110/120 volts) models. The 7 amp models are suitable for dry weeds on smooth surfaces, while 12 amp models have the power for clearing wet leaves on grass.
Battery-powered blowers are convenient, suitable for quick daily clean-ups. Power, weight and run-time vary greatly from model to model. And safe - No high voltage electricity. Good for use around swimming pools. Light - less than 5 pounds for small models.
Find to more articles about electric vs battery outdoor equipment comparison.