Electric/Battery professionally?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here is spokane there is a guy who runs a eco friendly mow business dont know much about him except he uses a battery opperated equipment which is charged by his truck and the solar panels mounted on his cab roof.

I have watched him work and its very inefficent how ever the concept is cool and its working for him. I was wondering if anyone knows of or does it them selves a little about how it works and how profitable it is.

Threads
I was wondering the same thing. It does not seem that efficient, but it might be a way to get customers: WE WILL MOW YOUR LAWN AND HELP THE ENVIRONMENT, TOO!

Threads
And it really wouldn't be possible on big lawns because there are not many electric ZTR mowers (none other than the Hustler ZEON), so unless the yards are small enough that you can use tiny 18 in. electric mowers and still make a profit, it is really not possible!

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ive watched him mow and on one lawn he had to switch batterys twice on his mower i dont know what size it is but it looks 20 or 21. And the hustler would be a good way to go but you would need some serious charging system. an enclosed trailer with lots of solar panels?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a large property across the street and he mows at the same time as me

Threads
I have a large property across the street and he mows at the same time as me

Oh, OK. I like watching other companies, also! I see a company come into the neighborhood and sometimes I go and see where they go! I like seeing if they do a good job. This one guy I thought he was really good, until this last time. He uses a Honda walk-behind for the people's front yard, and a ZTR or lawn tractor in the back. I looked at the front yard and there were lots of grass clumps. I would understand if it was a homeowner, but a professional??? It would take 3 mins to go over it again!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ive watched him mow and on one lawn he had to switch batterys twice on his mower i dont know what size it is but it looks 20 or 21. And the hustler would be a good way to go but you would need some serious charging system. an enclosed trailer with lots of solar panels?

The Problem with charging the Zeon is it's a four battery pack and takes like 16 hours to get a full charge and then it's only good for like 80 minutes.

MowerMike

Threads
I think that until they figure out how to make large mowers that employ lithium-ion batteries rather than lead acid batteries that don't cost a fortune, then electric cordless mowers will not be practical for professional use. Lithium-ion batteries are smaller, lighter and recharge much quicker than lead acid batteries, and have a longer charge cycle life. I have a Greenworks 40V 16" lithium-ion battery powered push mower that will run about 45 minutes on a full charge, which is sufficient time for me to mow my 6500 sq ft property. Something like this might be useful for a pro as a detailing and trimming mower, as it can get into much tighter spaces that a full size gas mower. Since it weighs only 38 pounds and has a top carry handle, I can easily lift it over ledges and use it in tight areas, rather than hacking away with a trimmer. The battery weighs only 3 pounds and can be charged off the mower in about 2 hours when fully discharged. It also interchanges with other Greenworks tools, such as a trimmer, blower and 12" chain saw.

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think that until they figure out how to make large mowers that employ lithium-ion batteries rather than lead acid batteries that don't cost a fortune, then electric cordless mowers will not be practical for professional use. Lithium-ion batteries are smaller, lighter and recharge much quicker than lead acid batteries, and have a longer charge cycle life. I have a Greenworks 40V 16" lithium-ion battery powered push mower that will run about 45 minutes on a full charge, which is sufficient time for me to mow my 6500 sq ft property. Something like this might be useful for a pro as a detailing and trimming mower, as it can get into much tighter spaces that a full size gas mower. Since it weighs only 38 pounds and has a top carry handle, I can easily lift it over ledges and use it in tight areas, rather than hacking away with a trimmer. The battery weighs only 3 pounds and can be charged off the mower in about 2 hours when fully discharged. It also interchanges with other Greenworks tools, such as a trimmer, blower and 12" chain saw.

I agree that something like the Greenworks mite be useful for a professional as a detailing and trimming mower but I don't believe that even the large mowers with Lithium-ion batteries would do or last the time needed when you're talking about moving something that weighs 800 lbs. I think the problem is in the fact that the batteries are providing power for not only the drives but also the motors for the blades.