Eco-Friendly Mowing Service

Threads
eco friendly lawn care.jpg
More and more companies are using electric mowers and have solar panels on their truck to charge their equipment. I think it is a great idea, but you really can only use small mowers unless you want your truck COVERED with solar panels to charge an electric ZTR like the Hustler Zeon. We were talking about a similar topic in this thread: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/electric-battery-operated/11949-electric-ztr-mower-3.html.

For example: Carrollton man's lawn service keeps your yard - and the environment - greener | Dallas-Fort Worth Home and Gardening - Lifestyles News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

B&D 1.jpg electric trimmer.jpg electric blower.jpg electric hedge trimmer.jpg

BrandonG

Threads
I have been seriously thinking of doing something similar on my own. I would not waste the money on a franchise.

I really don't think the solar panels are at all efficient.

I have been thinking of using the GreenWorks equipment and buying a bunch of batteries, enough to last through the day and then some.

If these companies can be successful using battery powered equipment, then why can't I?

At the very least, I would be saving a little bit of money not having to use gas.

Plus, a lot of people are starting to get into the "green" movement and I think I might be able to get some customers.

Using all electric equipment and 100% organic fertilizer/lawn feed, is something that is marketable and different than all your local competitors.

I wonder if anyone on this forum has had any success doing this.

Threads
I have been seriously thinking of doing something similar on my own. I would not waste the money on a franchise.

I really don't think the solar panels are at all efficient.

I have been thinking of using the GreenWorks equipment and buying a bunch of batteries, enough to last through the day and then some.

If these companies can be successful using battery powered equipment, then why can't I?

At the very least, I would be saving a little bit of money not having to use gas.

Plus, a lot of people are starting to get into the "green" movement and I think I might be able to get some customers.

Using all electric equipment and 100% organic fertilizer/lawn feed, is something that is marketable and different than all your local competitors.

I wonder if anyone on this forum has had any success doing this.

Cool idea! :thumbsup: Yes people might like a lawn service that is eco-friendly! As for people who have had success doing this, I doubt you'll find anyone on this forum because it's a very specific service, but that's why people might choose your company. Let us know what you decide.

BrandonG

Threads
The GreenWorks product line seems like it had a lot of thought put into it.

I've read hundreds of reviews from all over the internet.

Seems like the batteries are either awesome, or crap. I guess quality control may be somewhat of an issue.

With gas mowers, you run out of gas, you just pour more in it. Not so with batteries.

I would have to have like 10-12 batteries just to play it safe if I had 8 accounts/day that are 1/4 acre or less.

The total cost for 2 mowers, enough batteries, chargers, hedge trimmer, weed trimmer, and blower, along with extra blades will come out to
over $2,200.

As far as the warranty goes - GreenWorks advertises a 4 year warranty, but for Commercial Use, it goes down to 90 days.

I would probably need them to offer me a better warranty, we'll see what they say, if they think they can stand behind their product in such a way.

$2,200 is probably what I would spend in gas products anyways - and then I'd have to pay for gas.

Charging the batteries every day would cost about $800/year averaged out. Probably about 1/3 of the cost of gas, do you think this is accurate?

I'm a bit nervous about it....spending that much on equipment that hasn't been thoroughly tested in the commercial market would leave any business owner a little leery.

However, I don't want to be "just another lawn mowing crew". I want to go above and beyond.

I wish there were others here who could testify to their effectiveness in a commercial setting.

If anyone happens to come along and see this particular thread, and has any real-world experience at this particular thing, please go ahead and register for this forum and
tell me your thoughts! It would be much appreciated.

B

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
A good amount of those batteries that will be no good after a while will be "recycled" over seas to extract the lead in very bad ways for a man's health. I am not going to spend my time with electric stuff. I've done it and productivity was bad until I met STIHL.

People don't seem to realize the flip side of all this "green movement" BS. I am not saying that gas is any better tho.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
A good amount of those batteries that will be no good after a while will be "recycled" over seas to extract the lead in very bad ways for a man's health. I am not going to spend my time with electric stuff. I've done it and productivity was bad until I met STIHL.

People don't seem to realize the flip side of all this "green movement" BS. I am not saying that gas is any better tho.

Yah no kidding look into the prius batteries :)

BrandonG

Threads
The batteries are Lithium Ion, not Lead Acid or even Nickel Cadmium.

jpbarn45

Forum Newbie
Threads
The length of the power cord is restricted and echo effective, cordless power tools are often preferable for maximum comfort and versatility.